Prague, the city of bridges

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by JohnMetsn, May 21, 2011.

1. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

There are many ways, how people call Prague. I mean in a good way. Some of those famous are "the heart of Europe", "hundred-spired Prague" or "the city of bridges". Here is the reason for the latter one :smile:

• Like Like x 22
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Very very nice John ... you make me wish I was there. So what's with the hot air balloon?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you and you're welcomed anytime :smile: Dunno about the balloon, I think I saw it there for the first time that day. Probably some new tourist attraction. But it gave the picture nice mood like it could be 100-year old.
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice pic - Prague is one of my favourite cities. I miss my Pilsner Urquel / Budvar fix too :)

A murky shot from 2002 - a beginner photographer (me), second hand Pentax K1000, a nasty Tamron zoom and a blazing hot day -

<a href="">[​IMG]"268" width="400" /></a>
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Crisp and woderful B&W composition John.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Ondrej,

Never been to Prague. I think my choice for what to call it would be lovely. Lovely image too.

So tell us Ondrej. What are the names of the bridges from top to bottom? :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Agree with the first part,disagree with the second. Why Anheuser Busch stole the recipe to that swill is beyond me .... Krusovice or the small local brews FTW.

My Prague pictures are here (taken with a Canon A620 compact)

(Budapest and others too)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

It does look a hundred years old! Beautiful timeless shot. Wonderful even.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    Great shot.

Studied at the VSUP (large building to the left of the first bridge) for a semester back in the 90s. So Prague hold a special place in my memory. Happy days.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Beautiful shot John. Prague is one of the great cities I've never visited but very much hope to some day. This just whets the appetite that much more!

• Like Like x 1
  11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Go sooner rather than later, it gets more touristy every year.

I wish I could have gone there 5 yrs ago
  12. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you! :smile: It's already hot in here again, I think they should serve chilled beer in trams, because without air conditioner it's like sitting in an oven :smile:

I'm happy to hear that from you Hera, as you're perfectionist about your pictures :smile: I'm sure you would put a better sky to my picture :wink:

Thank you :smile: I recalled another name for Prague - "the mother of all cities"...but I guess that apply just for Czech republic :wink:

I believe I would be able to recall those names, but the most important is the second one - Karlův most (Charles Bridge) from 14th Century :smile:

I actually prefer Budvar than Plzen :wink: But I'm happy that you know very well "who stoled what from who" :biggrin: I agree that those smaller breweries are great though. My favorite is Klaster. But I'm not one of those Czechs who take Czech beer as the only, the best. I truly miss Japanese beer in Czech republic for instance...

Thank you, that's what I was going for with the B/W conversion, I'm happy you like it :smile:

Thank you :smile: VSUP is just next to my university - FF UK. I wish I chose VSUP instead nowadays...

Thank you Ray :smile: You and others who are thinking about trip to Europe, don't hesitate to contact me, if you'll ever get to Prague. I would be more than happy to buy you a beer :smile:

You're right, it's rare to hear Czech language in the center anymore. Even people in tourist shops don't understand Czech.

I'm happy how Prague looks like now though, just after the revolution in 90s it was just grey, dirty and broken city...
  13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It is certainly gorgeous, almost too gorgeous - it seems like it can't be real, like some Disneyland creation. Some grey and dirt would I think make it more impressive by reminding you that it's real.

That and the fact that EVERYWHERE is a for-charge ticket required attraction now. I mean, you need to pay for a ticket to see the Golden Row? really?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. scotth

scotth Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2011
    I spent a lot of time in Prague in the mid nineties, and I really enjoyed it, it is a great city.

I still remember walking across the Charles Bridge at dawn on the way back to the hotel, and walking into the castle a looking up at the front of St Vitus as I entered the courtyard. We had a lot of fun, and there is so much history.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Prague is definitely one gorgeous city all around!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Don't worry, there are still many dirty and grey parts of the city, just not those tourist hotspots anymore :wink:

I agree with you about the payments. I didn't went to Golden Row nor Saint Vitus' Cathedral when it started to be paid. I also find degrading that you have to pay for most of public toilets!! But I guess it's some kind of trend everywhere. I'm slightly disappointed now, when I'm preparing my trip to US. My dad was in the US, his dream country, more than 15 years ago and used to talk about how cheap or even free was going to museums, views, etc. Now you need to pay $36.00 for ESB and $55.11 for express ticket. The cheapest hotel without bedbugs we could find in the center was for $230 a day. That's more than double I paid for nice hotel in the center of Tokyo this January... Oh well...I guess shouldn't care about such things much and just enjoy a nice trip :smile:

I used to cross Charles Bridge quite commonly after midnight when I was on high school. Supported by many beers the mood of empty bridge was unforgettable :)

Thank you :smile:
  17. :smile: John, I like your shot as is. Nothing to add more.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Great composition - pulls me in and makes me curious. I like the BW treatment.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Great shot Ondrej! You have the good fortune of living in one of the most beautiful cities I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. I would go back in a heartbeat...
    • Like Like x 1
  20. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Just to continue this conversation about Prague, this is what I wrote in 2009 after a motorcycle stop there:

"The ugliest building that I have ever seen is in Prague, a communist-era theatre wrapped in translucent brown cubes resembling oversized bubble wrap. Being juxtaposed alongside the beautifully ornate National Theatre just heightens the offense. All is forgiven, however, as Prague delights in so many other ways, and buildings document an important era in the city’s history. The capital and largest city of the Czech Republic, Prague has been the political, economic, and cultural heart of the country for over a thousand years, and the art and architecture reflect the flow of power, money, and creativity to the golden city known as Zlaté mesto.

Towers, spires, and domes dominate the skyline of Staré Mesto (Old Town) and Malá Strana (Lesser Quarter), while statues accent the squares, bridges, and rooftops. It’s a heady mix of Medieval, Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque styles. And despite the trappings of tourism – the money changing shops, the tchotchke shops, the overpriced food, and the camera-toting tourists – the city manages to maintain its charm. A walk from Staré Mesto, across the Charles Bridge to Malá Strana and up the hill to the Prague Castle and Saint Vitus’ Cathedral offers visual delight with each step and each turn.

With power comes conflict though, and Prague has seen its share, from medieval to modern times. The Soviets
    rolled in with tanks in 1968 following the Prague Spring – a short period of increased democracy. And the Velvet
    Revolution of 1989 took place here, as well as non-violent protests and strikes that eventually toppled the Communist government. Without their courage, the beauty of Prague would still be closed to Westerners, and jazz would not be flowing nightly from the cave-like confines of the AghaRTA Jazz Centrum."

Everyone should go to Prague. Now.
    • Like Like x 2