Prague in mid-late May

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by aldus, Apr 28, 2013.

1. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    Traveling to Prague for the first time in mid-May for 9 days — first serious outing with my :43: gear, too. I'll also be carrying a tripod (Manfrotto Carbon compact travel) and monopod (carbon, compact).

I haven't settled on the exact kit, but here's what I've got to choose from:

Camera Bodies:
    Panny Lumix GX1
    Oly E-P3

Lenses:
    Oly Body Cap Lens 15mm ƒ/8
    Panny 14mm
    Panny G Vario 14-42mm
    Panny 45-200mm
    Oly 40-150mm
    Olympus Zuiko 50mm ƒ/1.8 (legacy)

So I'm thinking both bodies, the Oly BCL, the Panny 14 and 14-42, and the Panny 45-200 (along with a pair of extra batteries for each body, chargers, remote cable releases). As far as bags, I already have a couple of choices and will decide based upon the final choice of gear (I'll be carrying a MacBoook Pro 13" and an iPad, so I'm factoring that in for what bags I take).

I'm curious if anyone knows Prague, has any suggestions, or has favorite spots to consider for shooting...

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    You may consider taking the OM 50mm. It will give you a fast prime short tele alternative for shooting in low light. I took it to Rome last December and it proved great in museum.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudlavon/8373023069/" title="St. Peter's - Michelangelo's Pietà by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr"> 8373023069_af95c0ca69_b. "1024" height="767" alt="St. Peter's - Michelangelo's Pietà"></a>

3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    1. The Old Town Square with magnificent Town Hall and Astronomical Clock, also go up the tower and get shots from the top.
    2. Charles bridge for shots up & down the river, plus lots of statues.
    3. The Castle, lots to take here.
    4. Do each of the "Quarters", the Jewish Quarter has a particularly poignant graveyard.
    5. St. Vitus Cathedral - wonderful gothic.
    6. The strange and fluid "Dancing Building" is worth a shot or two.

I liked Prague very much - enjoy

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Prague is a very "target rich environment" - don't worry about finding photographic opportunities, go and have fun.

It is going to be an absolute tourist zoo that time of year. I would highly recommend getting up early so you can see things like the Charles bridge before 9:00 or 10:00.

Be extremely careful of pickpockets in the "tourist" areas (Charles bridge, Wenceslas Square, etc)

Here are the pictures of my trip, which was in the fall:
    http://troyandmollyalloverthemap.shutterfly.com/256
    http://troyandmollyalloverthemap.shutterfly.com/221

5. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    +1 on getting up early.

I meant to mention that on my Charles Bridge line - it looks great empty with the row of statues, excellent leading lines, but looks cr@p full of tourists !!

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    One other thing - beer. Please try something (several something's given the length of your trip) other than Pilsner Urquell. Personally, I prefer Krusovice, but there are many small local beers you can only get there.

LOL @post above - the funny thing is, 9:00 or 10:00 is not really that "early"! ... And it wasn't so much the tourists as all the locals selling tourist chotsky that screw up the pictures!

7. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I am going there as well around that time for a conference (SMST) May20-24. I echo the comments around here that this is a very target rich location as I was there in 1993 and it was incredible.

-Cliff

8. poisson rouge

poisson rouge Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
  9. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    It depends on if you've been drinking the local micro-brewery Czech beer all the previous night !! LOL :biggrin:

10. frank2

frank2 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    The "Dancing Building" otherwise known as Fred and Ginger. Just point and shoot stuff.

Attached Files:

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, that was a Canon A610 P&S. Images are pretty good in good light and shown on the screen, but nothing like m43 delivers.

12. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    Ehud — great point and one reason I've hung on to that lens all along! I fully expect to be doing some shooting like that (my first visit to Paris had a lot of time in Louvre, back when I was shooting film with that lens).

13. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    Thanks — I'm going for a conference as well (15-17 May, with a couple of days after, when I hope to get some photography done!) and am looking forward to it.

14. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    Thanks — I'd hear that the Old Town Square, especially the Astronomical Clock are not to be missed, so that was already on my list. Is this —Petřín View Tower | Praguewelcome – The official travel and tourism guide of Prague — the tower you mean? As I'm researching my free-time itinerary, I've discovered that Prague has quite few towers to choose from :smile: .

My conference is close to the Castle, so I'm expecting to get some during that.

Had not seen the "Dancing Building" — will definitely check this one out :thumbup: .

And I have a habit of finding the "Quarters" wherever I can — I was originally supposed to stay in a small B&B in the Little Quarter on one of the streets that Jan Neruda mentioned in his "Povídky malostranské", or Tales of the Little Quarter!

15. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    :drinks: I'm DEFINITELY going to try as many local brews as my liver can handle — Berlin was heaven when I was there (I stayed and traveled in some of the less-touristy places), and Prague is supposed to be even better

16. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    No, I meant the gothic tower attached to the Town Hall building in the Town Square.

You could go up the steps or elevator when I went in 2006, for a small fee, and get some good pano shots of the Square and Old Town - I presume you still can, but can't guarantee it.

17. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    Ah, okay — I'm adding it to my list, then! When I visited Dubrovnik and the Old Town, I made a point of finding the tallest public buildings I could (turned out that the Rupe Ethnographic Museum was one of the taller ones AND up on a high point, too!) and took advantage of the views (and the open windows!).

Thanks!

18. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    I dont know if it is too late but I would strongly consider taking the oly 17mm f/1.8 or the panny 25mm f/1.4 with you. I think either of those lenses would be the most used for a trip like this.

Personally, I dont see much use for the 14-42 if you are already bringing the 14mm and have the 40-150. I would guess that you would keep the 14mm on one camera and the 40-150 on the other for 90% of the trip.

19. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    As per my original post, I don't actually own either of those lenses, but thanks! If I did own them, I'd probably be taking them along with me.

20. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    Sorry I meant if you have time to get one of those lenses before your trip I would recommend that. But the 14mm and the 40-150 should be everything you would need for most of your shooting! Have a great time.

Cant wait to see the pics :)