1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

PP using curves - a quick tutorial

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by kevinparis, Apr 11, 2014.

1. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I entered one of the PP challenges recently and damn me I won.... anyway my winning entry was an experiment by myself in learning a bit more about curves, and in particular using multiple curves with masks.

As I had some time this afternoon, I sat down and did a little video showing the steps I went through, and thought it might be of some use

All acknowledgements to Robbie36 for the image, and to ScreenFlow for the screen capture. I didn't record a voice over, just subtitles so it is silent !!

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/91727354" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/91727354">Editing in Aperture</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2196855">kevin miller</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

K

• Like Like x 10
  2. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    Very insightful. Thank you

Just one question, I didn't quite get it how did you selected the door or the wall, you had the masks pre-made right?

• Like Like x 1
  3. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thank you

yes I had the masks pre painted for this video... it was just a quick project to show the idea of having multiple curves, and how adjusting the RGB separately leads to some useful effects

cheers

K

4. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    ah, great, just to make sure there was no sorcery involved :)

cheers

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Great vid Kevin. I am a Mac/LR user... I have never used Aperture, but I have always been told they are mostly the same w/ LR having a bit more options, but as far as I know, multiple masks and curves are not possible in LR.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    to me, that was an eye-opener. Never gotten the hang of curves, only stuck to levels... this made sense though, so I´ll be trying it out:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Multiple masks, yes. LR now has several selection tools: radial, brush, etc. However, the adjustments possible of the mask are fairly limited and don't include curves.

Very interesting video. Thanks, Kevin.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thanks for the comments

the masking and the multiple adjustments in Aperture is underappreciated in my opinion. Its not perfect by any manner... you cant copy a mask from one adjustment to another, though there is an applescript that seems to do it

https://www.apertureexpert.com/store/applescript-brush-mask-lift-stamp/13368#.U0jixl4UvlJ

I havent tried it.... but i probably should

any thoughts/feedback on the style/format of the video.... too long...too short... does it need voice over?

cheers

K

9. agpr

agpr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Heraklion, Crete
    K,
    Thank you very much for sharing this technique, which I was totally unaware of. I really appreciate the time and effort you spend for creating this insightful video.
    Kind regards

10. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    This is a fantastic tutorial and, while I'm at, it's a super shot that you used to do the demo.
    Really love Rob's shot here. Think I missed it but could you link to the final shot from the challenge that you won?

LR doesn't have this level of customization. I think that this is actually a lot more powerful than what Lightroom offers with the selective adjustments. In lightroom I tend to jump into Viveza if I want to accomplish the same thing as you have with the masks here. I do have a photoshop licence and have it installed but my photoshop skills are crap and to be honest I find it quite intimidating.
    I find Nik plugins much easier to get around and get better results because I'm more comfortable there.

Can you do selective sharpening / noise reduction as well from Apperture?!

• Like Like x 1
  11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Yes, the only adjustments I can think of that can't be brushed in and out are "RAW Fine Tuning" and "Exposure". You can also create multiple instances of almost pane except those two, "White Balance" and a few others.

That being said the Noise and Sharpen panes are kind of minimalistic and could really use an upgrade.

Fred