1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Power Zoom Lenses?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BillW, Dec 22, 2012.

1. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Looking to use a 4/3 camera to replace my aged 3-ccd video camera.
    I see that Olympus makes a 12-50 power zoom, along with Panasonic's 14-42.
    Are there any other options for a powered zoom lens for video use?
    specifically I like to zoom in, start shooting, and be able to pull back on shots from time to time but most of the lenses I see are manual zoom only and not smooth enough to pull this off.

2. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    The lenses mentioned are the only ones I have ever heard of that have motorized zoom built in.

I got the 12-50mm with my OM-D, and would rather have a larger aperture at the long end than the motorized zoom, since I don't shoot much video at all.

3. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    45-175 X from Panny also.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A little off subject but keep in mind that many(if not all) m43 cameras have a time or storage limit to the length of video they record. Not a big deal if you shoot a couple of minutes at a time but a real bummer if you want to shoot 30 minutes straight.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    How do you plan on maintaining focus (the point of focus changes as you zoom)? If you are going to use manual focus, you should probably avoid the Panasonic 14-42X since it doesn't have a focusing ring, just a switch. The Olympus 12-50 and Panasonic 45-175X don't have that problem.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I believe this is only Olympus models. It goes back to the tax rates in the EU are vastly different for still cameras vs video cameras, so they have to set a limit of 29 minutes so its not classified as a video camera. Panasonic makes different firmware for different regions, Oly does not.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You are right. In checking the specs the Panasonic models or at least the GH2/3, G3 and GX1{models I looked up} all have no time limit on video recording. So with a good card the limit will be how long the battery holds out. The price of the GH2 is at all time low - perhaps I ought to pick one up for video?