Power supply for E-PL1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by scantron, Oct 30, 2011.

1. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    Is there a power supply available for the E-PL1, so I can power the camera from the wall and not batteries? Since you can't capture frames via USB, I need to start using my E-PL1 to shoot frames for stop motion animation.

Removing the camera from a tripod to constantly change batteries is not an option, so I was hoping to find a power adapter. The Olympus site is unclear whether their AC-1 adapter will work with the E-PL1. It doesn't look like it does.

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Hopefully Rob Watson will read this, he has come up with an external power supply for the same reasons.

3. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    Yeah, it doesn't seem like there is one....

I'm getting closer and closer to needing to go back to my old Canon DSLR (previously a 20D, now I'd get a T2i or T3i) for my photographic & video needs. I dig the PEN series & the M43 format, etc. but there are some tiny features that I'm finding I can't live without- like USB remote capture, wall power supplies, easily accessible dials for aperture & shutter speed, a viewfinder that doesn't cost another $200-$300, faster autofocus, a sensor that's not so exposed every time you change a lens....

I realize that some of the new PENs might have at least faster autofocus and some more dials, but they're just way too expensive for what you get. Anybody want to trade some M43 gear for Canon? :-(

4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Sorry I can't help with the actual question but could you build a mount for the tripod that would allow access to the battery without removing the camera?

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've used my 'external power supply' along with Yongnuo MC-36B timer for time lapse for ~3 days continuous operation. Also used the rubber band + coin trick (don't like that one so much any more). Sounds like you have needs that are not going to be met with a timer and external power!

My power module (if I can call it that) could be run from AC by using a 12VDC 1 amp 'wall wart' instead of my usual car or deep cycle marine battery. The circuit is pretty easy but the tricky part is a 'mock' battery to hold the wires against the cameras connector points ... I still fiddle with that occasionally. Next round is going to be a wood block. I've got a fender washer with a 1/4"-20 nut brazed to it that gives good support and makes clearence for the wires coming out of the open battery bay door.

If you can find a 1/4"-20 stand-off about 3.5 inches long to insert between the tripod and camera the battery can be swapped without unmounting the camera. I think it is silly to do it this way which is another reason I made the circuit! Plus I really didn't want to touch the camera after starting a 'run'.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I took a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate I had laying about drilled and tapped for 1/4" x 20 thread and another through hole (1/4"x20 bolt goes here to mount the camera). The plate is 2"x6" and holds the camera offset from the tripod and the through hole s placed so as to not obstruct the camera battery bay door. It is a bit heavy for my usual tripod and I had to counter weight it for stability.

Still not a very nice solution but works in a pinch.

8. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    Sorry for the anti-PEN rant, just a little frustrated with recent projects- thanks for the suggestions!

While Rob's got some very creative ideas, this all seems like way too much for me to take on. I'd rather have a system that better matches my needs. Unfortunately as a student I can't afford to keep it and buy another rig.The PEN series is great and definitely has it's place though.