1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Power OIS or 5 Axis?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by sinar, Aug 3, 2013.

1. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in both Panasonic's Power OIS and Olympus's 5 Axis IBIS, and could comment on the effectiveness of each system?

I have mostly been interested in still photography and have a Panasonic GH2 and Olympus EPL-5 and prime lenses, (12, 14, 20, 45, 60, 75) i'm starting to get interested in casual video, and am getting unsteady shots shooting handheld.

I'm not sure if I should get either an Olympus EP5 or EM5 so i can use the 5 axis IBIS in my videos, or getting a Panasonic 12-35 F2.8 Power OIS lens to use with my existing kit.

I know there are pros and cons to each route, but as i've had no experience with either Power OIS or 5 axis IBIS i'm not sure how they perform comparatively.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks for reading

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I had a 45-175mm Power OIS lens and it did just as well as the 5-axis in my OM-D, so I'd say they perform about the same. But the good thing about the 5-axis of course is that it applies to every lens you attach to the body, native or legacy. If I were you, I would get a second body with IBIS. You already have some very nice primes in the range of the 12-35mm. As far as the body, I'd get an ep-5 or wait for the gx7, both of which have IBIS and focus peaking (great for video).

3. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    In my opinion the Olympus stabilization is better (I have em5 and gh3), but you can get seriously great video quality out of the gh2 and not so much from the Olympus. I hope they will sort that out with the next modell otherwise I will go for the GX7.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The GX7 ibis does not work with video.

Fred

5. The advantage of the 5-axis system is that it can correct for motion that an optical system can't (rotation for instance).

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Measuring the performance of any kind of IS is extremely difficult. The kind of motion it needs to compensate for is highly variable and pretty much random. What works better for one person & situation might not work as well for another person or type of induced motion. Effectiveness can vary with shutter speed, shutter induced vibration, and focal length. It wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't vary with temperature or a host of other factors, too.

In other words, take anything reported by users with a grain of salt. What may be true for that photographer with that particular lens and body may not be true for you and a different lens and body.

If there's any trend I've noted reading numerous user reports on the web, it's that 5-way IBIS is marginally better than Power OIS at short focal lengths, Power OIS (and even Mega OIS) marginally better at longer focal lengths. But that's not a universal truth by any means.

What is clear is that both are significantly better than Oly's old 2 axis IBIS (and Panasonic's 2 axis version? Time will tell.). And that both perform very well indeed, providing a solid 2 to 3 step advantage in most situations, a bit more for some people, a bit less for others.

And, of course, IBIS stabilizes non-stabilized lenses.

7. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    I agree with you, but since we are in the filmmaking subforum the shutter speed probably follows the 180 degree rule for most of us and the focal length varies from 16 to 50 mm. With that as starting point and if the goal is to make smooth pans, tilts and "dollys" hand held without rig, then in my opinion and experience of having both:
    OMDs ibis is better but you compromise by getting pretty bad video quality.

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Really?! That sucks....Where did you see this?

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It's a comment that's come up a few times, but I can't remember where. Specifically I don't remember if it was from rumor sites or hands-on commentaries. So let me change my comment...

I've seen unconfirmed reports that the GX7 ibis doesn't work with video. It may be best to wait for reliable reviews to be sure.

Fred

10. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Yes, and o far I have only heard that it doesnt work in 50/60p. I read it it one post that I cant seem to find again and never have it stated that the same goes or 25/24p.
    Hopefully its just a rumor and we have to whait for a real source :)

11. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    From specs.

"Seamless 16MP Photos and Full HD Video 1080/60p

The LUMIX GX7 is a hybrid creative camera featuring full-HD 1920 x 1080/60p smooth, high quality video recording in AVCHD Progressive and MP4 format with stereo sound. Full-time AF and tracking AF are also available in cinema-like 24p video with a bit rate of maximum 24 Mbps. 16MP P / A / S / M photo modes are available in video, delivering exceptional professional-like video recording by manually setting aperture and shutter speed."

MP4 NTSC:
    [Full HD] 1,920 x 1,080 (sensor output is 30p)
    [HD] 1,280 x 720 (sensor output is 30p)
    [VGA] 640 x 480 (sensor output is 30p)

MP4 PAL:
    [Full HD] 1,920 x 1,080 (sensor output is 25p)
    [HD] 1,280 x 720 (sensor output is 25p)
    [VGA] 640 x 480 (sensor output is 25p)

AVCHD NTSC NTSC:
    [Full HD] 1,920 x 1,080, 60p (sensor output is 60p) (PSH: 28 Mbps)
    [Full HD] 1,920 x 1,080, 60i (sensor output is 60p) (FSH: 17 Mbps)
    [Full HD] 1,920 x 1,080, 30p (sensor output is 60p) (FPH: 17 Mbps)
    [HD] 1,280 x 720, 60p (sensor output is 60p) (SH: 17 Mbps)

Recordable Time Continuous:
    AVCHD with picture quality set to [FSH]: Approx. 140 min with H-FS014042 / Approx. 150 min with H-PS14042 or H-FS45150

Actual: AVCHD with picture quality set to [FSH]: Approx. 70 min with H-FS014042 / Approx. 75 min with H-PS14042 or H-FS45150

12. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Cool, by the looks of that, the IBIS works in all video modes.
    But we will soon know for sure.

13. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    Thanks for the replies, you've given me a lot to think about.

I do like the idea of all my existing lenses being stabilised by getting either the EP5 or EM5, it would be handy for still and video, and i like the two control dials they both have

I also like the idea of using my GH2 with the 12-35 as i love the ergonomics of the GH2, it just feels great in my hands, and if i were to get into more advanced video shooting the GH2 would, from what i've read be better than either of the Olympus's. Also it would be nice to have a quality zoom for when i don't want to take a few primes.

Right now, i'm thinking at some point i will have both a 5 axis body and the 12-35, its just going to be a matter of which comes first.

I think it possible that the EP5 price might drop when the GX7 comes out, and that the OMD might be due to drop in price as its getting older , so i might hold out a few months on the body, and see what happens to the prices, and get the lens first.

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I don't see that those specs reference IBIS at all. Am I missing something?

15. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Me neither. Maybe I'm just old.

16. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    You quoted me saying that Ive heard that the IBIS doesnt work in 60p which means that it might work in 24/25p.

Under the quote you posted a bunch of specs where it said nothing about IBIS not working in any mode.
    What I then thought you where trying to say was,
    "Hey, these are the only facts we have so far, and since it doesnt say anything about the IBIS not working, we might as well assume that it works in all modes."

I didnt want to rain on your parade and said "good" but we need a creditable source.
    As a journalist I often deal with "facts" on the internet and let me just say that so far I havent seen one single creditable and confirmed source that shows any indication that the IBIS doesnt work in video. (havent really looked so there might be some, but so far all ive seen in this thread and others is of the "ive heard" kind)

The only thing I have seen is the specs posted by you "htc" and they point towards the IBIS working perfectly fine in video mode by not mentioning that it wouldnt.

17. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I think you are reading my text like my wife, between the lines :biggrin: I have to remind you, that it's challenging because that way the result is reader-specific. Wife-specific I mean :biggrin:

They where the ONLY specs I found (Photography, Digital Cameras, Lenses, Electronics - 8PM Shipping - Adorama Camera).

Next quote is from Panasonic GX7 Review: Hands-On Preview You can jump straight to the last sentence.

"The new, movable sensor. At the heart of the GX7 is a brand-new 16 megapixel Live MOS image sensor, which can provide for images at a sensitivity of up to ISO 25,600 max.

We've mentioned previously that it's now mounted on a movable platter, and so provides for sensor-shift image stabilization. According to Panasonic, it should be "nearly as effective" as the company's lens-based MEGA O.I.S system. If you mount a stabilized lens, though, the in-lens stabilization will take over, and the sensor shift system will be locked in place. The big advantage of the in-body system is that it will work with all of your otherwise-unstabilized lenses. There's no price premium for stabilization with each lens purchase, because you bought stabilization along with the camera. At longer focal lengths where optical stabilization typically works better, however, you can still choose to buy a stabilized lens. You get the best of both worlds, and that's great news!

The system will, incidentally, work with third-party lenses, or lenses mounted via an adapter, but you'll need to manually enter the focal length in this case. It's also important to note that the body-based stabilization system is not used for video capture."

18. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Well there you go, thats more like it in terms of creditable source :)
    But what a shame, guess I whait for the new OMD as my next pocket sized camera with stabilization to complement my gh3 and bmpcc.

19. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I find so hard to believe that they included only "nearly as good as Mega OIS" image stabilization to their newest pride, for stills only. We have to wait...

20. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Me to, but if its true they'll hopefully read all the unhappy comments and correct it for the official release.