Power converter for use in Australia/New Zealand

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OldRadioGuy, Jul 15, 2017.

1. OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy Enthusiast Amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Austin, Texas USA
    Bob
    Anyone have a recommendation for a power converter to use with Olympus MFT battery chargers (USA plug) in Australia and New Zealand?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

2. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    Bob,

You probably don't need a "power converter," just a plug "adapter." Just Google "plug adapter" for Australia and New Zealand. Check all of the things that you want to charge to make sure that they can take the 210-220 volts. It's written on the chargers for all of the gadgets like cell phones. Mine say, "input 110-240." You only need converters for things like hair dryers made solely for 110-120. Also, most hotels have adapters that they will lend you, but the adapters are so cheap that you may as well have your own.

Here's a link to Amazon.

Amazon.com: plug adapter for australia

Don

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Yup, check the voltage on your devices and then just get a travel adapter - if you're super organised, get one adapter and bring a compact power-strip so you can charge multiple devices without having to bring multiple adapters. NZ & AU have the same type of plug too.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, has anyone tried a 120V surge suppressor on 240V?
    The one I travel with in the states now says "500V protection" or something like that; if that's the actual clamping voltage then it should be fine.

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    All my devices I travel with can handle dual voltage now, but I did previously kill the power adapter for a Wi-Fi router only a few years ago as I assumed it was a switching PSU and it wasn't.

Also be careful with electric shavers; many aren't dual-voltage and a 120V one will instantly burn out on 240V.

6. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Check to see if the Olympus charger says "input 100-240V ac" on it, if so it will work fine on the AU/NZ 230V ac. Does the olympus charger have a built in US plug or is it a separate cord with a "figure 8" plug on the side. If the latter, search on Amazon or ebay for a "figure 8 power cord AU plug". As has already been stated, NZ and AU use the same plug and same mains voltage (230V ac 50Hz).

Also, if you are travelling with multiple USB devices, get something like this:
    Amazon.com: Travel Adapter, MoMoCity International Worldwide Travel Adapter 4-Port USB Wall Charger Power Adapter Travel Plug with US UK EU AU Plugs for iPhone iPad Samsung Smartphone Camera (Black): Computers & Accessories
    and some retractable USB leads.