1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pouch to throw camera in

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by winx14, Sep 29, 2011.

1. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a camera bag for my gear already, but I'm looking for a padded pouch or sleeve to throw my G3 when if I carry it in my daily messenger bag. Right now I just carry it in a microfiber bag, and I scared myself when I put it down and heard a loud thud. Basically, I'm looking for some padding. Any recommendations?

Thinking about this:
    domke wrap

I would go into the store to check it out, but it's 15 minutes out of the way on my commute (and there's so many Jewish holidays that they're closed all the time). :drama:

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I like the LensCoat BodyBag or Lens Pouch for protection of my camera equipments when I throw them into my daily bag.

These pouches or bags are made of neoprene, which I find to provide a pretty good buffer...

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have a Crumpler Haven (S) on backorder at Adorama for exactly this purpose. I use different bags, some of which are not padded and thought this would be a good solution.

Haven (S)

4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I bought a small Domke padded insert to convert my small messenger bag into a camera bag, it's large enough for the body with a small lens attached, and another lens on the other side of the adjustable divider.

If I just want to throw the camera in a bag by itself, I use an OP/Tech neoprene "soft pouch" that fits around the body and a small lens. They have different size puches. The Domke wrap you linked to would probably do the job as well, but I have no experience with it.

5. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Don't miss Korean company Ciesta they are making great bag inserts. I am really enjoying 'CIESTA arco flexible insert mini', but they are also making bigger versions.

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Get a neoprene pouch (large lens one perhaps) with a pull cinch strap of the right size. They are all basically the same these days. You may want something that has a belt loop (Mine have been a useful feature) for when you just want something on your belt.

I honestly don't see the point in wraps. They require you to use a flat surface (table or sors) or precariously balance the camera as you wrap it. They also do rely on velcro which loose or degrade their attaching abilities after long heavy usage.

If you are looking for something a bit sizable and better enclosed, I have seen these in the camera shops as well;

Clik Elite CE510RE Camera Capsule, Compact CE510RE B&H Photo

7. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    You might want to look at this thread, there were some interesting suggestions.

8. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into these.

Lol at the used socks from that thread.^

9. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    When I have the 40-150 or any of my adapted m42 lenses on my EPL1 I leave the body half of the cheap fake leather case on, but the top part will only work with smaller lenses, so before I through it in the bag I pull a thick sock over the lens. I am not proud. It works and I guess it also makes people pay less attention to me since they would never think a "serious" camera would be covered by a sock... ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

10. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I bought a wrap to keep my kit lens in when I wasn't using it. I regret it and wish I had gotten a pouch instead. I can't say why exactly; it just seems less practical.

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I had the same problem; sometimes I carry my G1 "loose" and wanted a little bit of protection for it.

I bought one of these:
    Neoprene Protector Case Bag Pouch 4 Panasonic G1/G2/G10 | eBay, (if link is broken it is called "Neoprene Protector Case Bag Pouch 4 Panasonic G1/G2/G10" Seller is "hk-welcomeshop"

I'm very pleased. It is good padding but not too thick, no metal to scratch or plastic parts to break, and it adjusts reasonably well for various lenses. All for $9 delivered!

• Like Like x 1
  12. donlaw

donlaw Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2011
    Texas
    Don Lawrence
  13. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    When I had bought my first DSLR, I asked my wife and she made a very nice custom pouch for it. I still carry my camera in this pouch, although it's a little too large for Micro 4/3 cameras. :smile:

14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Wow, this is really good price!

15. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I remember when i 1st got my G1 last April i looked for some sort of case but never found what i wanted. I was looking around for some sort of field case For my G1 that just covers the camera and lens that is on it, for the times i just want to take the camera and one lens out , with out having to take my bag and all the lenses. Nothing padded just to cover it from the accidental rubs and dust. I envisioned something like that used on an old Kodak Signet, that can have the part covering the lens easily and quickly moved out of the way to take a photo, then placed back on , Or even something like the Half cases i seen around for the GF1's. My G1 has been getting allot of dust lately and has 3 or 4 minor scrapes now. Most happening when i take it with me in the car, sitting in a clean and empty console. I use to put it on the passenger seat next to me but it fell off a couple times. Lately i resorted to place it on the floor, in the middle, behind me but it attracts dust and crumbs like a Magnet. So I'm looking for a case again, and i was so amused when i clicked the link you provided oldracer and it showed that the page was already saved on my watch list. Then I remembered i did look at that months ago but was going to think about it. I guess i took to long to think i just forgot ..lol
    I think i'm just going to order it.

Hey do you use it with adapted legacy glass oldracer ?

16. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    No. I'm too lazy to screw around with the non-automation. But for size: G1/2/3 with 14-140mm (with reversed lens hood) is about the biggest that will fit. G1/2/3 with 100-300 is definitely too big.

This is with their "medium" size. Probably the "large" will take more lens but will not fit the body as closely.

17. winx14, if decide on the Domke wraps any feedback would be appreciated. When I just pack the GF-1 +20mm into a small fanny pack it's only protected by an old microfiber towel. Not much padding. So far, no incidents. The GF-1 + 20mm wrapped in the towel pretty much fills the main compartment of the waterproof & dust proof butt pack. Any real "case" would be too bulky.

For tossing into the messenger bag I've been using a Crumpler 2MDH. The case holds up to the G2 with the 14-45mm plus accessories. Couple times the messenger bag has taken a few hits. mu43 gear has survived without any known problems.

18. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ended up getting this, but it's not for everyday use because it's not small.

Mountainsmith Kit Cube 10-81064-01 B&H Photo Video

For everyday carrying, still using a microfiber towel also lol.

19. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Here's another vote for the neoprene cases. I keep my Gf1 in one for carrying around in my purse. Amazon has a number of them under $10 in different sizes. The material is heavy and really protects the camera.

My only complaint is that they run small. The one I purchased was advertised for the G1 and Gh1. I don't know how well it would fit those cameras, but it's snug on the Gf1 with the LVF1 and 20mm attached. With the 14-45 attached, it's tight, but it does fit well enough to enclose the camera.