Pouch for E-PL5 + pancake?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by msatlas, Feb 5, 2013.

1. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI
    I'm looking for a pouch or other type of small case to carry an E-PL5 and Panasonic 20/1.7. I have plenty of other camera bags but want something to cover just this combo while carrying in a jacket pocket or my gf's purse. What are folks using for this purpose?

2. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Maybe check out the Manfrotto Nano series - Nano VII might fit?

I use one of the smaller sizes for My XZ-1 - the Nano II. It's a decent minimalist pouch for pretty cheap. My EPL-5/Pan 20 isn't too much bigger than my XZ-1, so one of the larger models should fit it.

3. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    I use one of the Lowepro cases designed for P&S cameras for my GF3/20. Not the smallest one, the one just bigger than that. Sorry don't know the model number, and it's probably not made any more (although they almost certainly make something similar.

4. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI
    Good suggestion!

I found this review of the Nano VII and VI: Manfrotto Nano VI and VII camera pouch review: budget, stylish protection for your mirrorless camera | Stuff-Review

I think I should be able to get away with the VI as they have a pic of a Fuji X100 in the VI and the E-PL5 + 20/1.7 is a tad smaller in width and height, and slightly thicker.

manfrotto-nano-vi-pouch-fuji-x100-15-1504.

The VII leaves a little more room front to back but appears that it'll be a bit too tall.

5. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    For that kind of use, look into a wrap-around. Domke makes them, as does Op-Tech. It's like a thin neoprene kerchief that wraps and velcro's around the camera, making for a small, customized fit.

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Crumpler pleasure dome small should work too. It fits my epm2 and 45mm lens

7. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh cool. If you get one-let me know which model you end up with. I should get a pouch for mine too-I only have larger bags and inserts but nothing for a minimalist carry.

8. Soapysyrie

Soapysyrie Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 16, 2012
    London
    Olympus do their own wrap for the EP series, The Olympus Pen wrapping case, it works for my GX1 and it's quite cheap on eBay.

9. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI
    I ended up ordering a Nano VII. I re-read the review I linked above where they said the X100 was a tight fit front-to-back in the VI. The X100 is 2.1" thick, and the E-PL5 + P20 is 2.5" thick. Also due to some quirk in pricing the VII was slightly cheaper than the VI. Granted, we're talking $9 instead of $13. ;)

From that same review, here's a GF1 + P20 in the VII. It's got a little room but looks like a good fit. I'll take a pic when I get mine.

manfrotto-nano-vii-pouch-panasonic-gf1-12-1504.

10. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI
    So the Nano VII got here. Good thing I went for it instead of the VI as the E-PL5 + P20 combo just fits in it front to back. I'll post a pic when I get the chance.

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Do you think you could squeeze a VF-3 on the E-PL5 and still have this pouch fit? The VF-3 does make the camera a little deeper. I'm looking for something similar for my E-PM2 with 20/1.7 and VF-3.

12. RogerAdams

RogerAdams Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2012
    I'm glad I found this thread. I was looking for a case to put my epl5 + p20 and put that in my shoulder bag.

13. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
  14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
  15. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    This Domke wrap is working pretty well for carrying my E-PL5 w Pan 14 or 20 pancake + VF-2 inside my daily work bag.
    Domke 15x15" Color Coded Protective Wrap (Black)

The flexibility of a wrap type case can even fit this camera w/ Oly 14-42 IIR kit lens.
    My VF-2 is pretty much a permanent part of this this camera now, I haven't taken it off since I bought it, but unfortunately it increases the cameras height, eliminating many small pouch options. I've still yet to try the Manfrotto Nano VII to see if the VF-2 will fit.

16. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
  17. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
  18. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Probably not. GX1 w/ EFV will not fit.

19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thx. Whenever my non-photographer women friends complain about the difficulty of finding the "right" purse/handbag, I wish it were only that difficult to find the right camera bag. :wink:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!