1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Potentially serious problem with olympus E-PM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by colbycheese, Mar 20, 2014.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    So I haven't use this camera body in a few months and today when i went to use it after taking a few pictures, something happened with the shutter. I can only describe it as the shutter being locked. I would take a photo and the shutter would remain closed after the photo was taken. The camera vibrated a little bit and then shut off, opening the shutter. Is there something wrong with this camera? If so what is it?

Thanks in advance

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Doesn't sound good. Does it make any difference which lens is mounted ?

Are the contacts between the lens/camera clean ?

If the menus are still accessible can you try a hard-reset ?

What happens if you turn image-stabilisation off ?

I get a loud clunk on my e-pm1 when starting up - I think this is the sensor clean and IS kicking in. Not sure if you can disable the sensor cleaning from the menus ?

Other than that it sounds like a physical problem - might need to contact Olympus..

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Sounds like the proverbial dead parrot to me. Time for a new body perhaps...

4. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    yes I get that start up thing, might be related. I don't have the camera with me now. When i have a chance i will try difference lenses. The only lens i have used on it is the PL 25. Maybe that is the issue. Will update when I test it.

5. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    well it seems the problem does not exist anymore which is weird. Just yesterday it happened. Hopefully all is ok