Potentially serious problem with olympus E-PM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by colbycheese, Mar 20, 2014.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    So I haven't use this camera body in a few months and today when i went to use it after taking a few pictures, something happened with the shutter. I can only describe it as the shutter being locked. I would take a photo and the shutter would remain closed after the photo was taken. The camera vibrated a little bit and then shut off, opening the shutter. Is there something wrong with this camera? If so what is it?

Thanks in advance

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Doesn't sound good. Does it make any difference which lens is mounted ?

Are the contacts between the lens/camera clean ?

If the menus are still accessible can you try a hard-reset ?

What happens if you turn image-stabilisation off ?

I get a loud clunk on my e-pm1 when starting up - I think this is the sensor clean and IS kicking in. Not sure if you can disable the sensor cleaning from the menus ?

Other than that it sounds like a physical problem - might need to contact Olympus..

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Sounds like the proverbial dead parrot to me. Time for a new body perhaps...

4. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    yes I get that start up thing, might be related. I don't have the camera with me now. When i have a chance i will try difference lenses. The only lens i have used on it is the PL 25. Maybe that is the issue. Will update when I test it.

5. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    well it seems the problem does not exist anymore which is weird. Just yesterday it happened. Hopefully all is ok

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.