1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Potential olympus user...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by banana101, Mar 7, 2012.

1. banana101

banana101 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 5, 2011
    London
    Hello!

I currently have the Panasonic Lumix GF1 and have recently been looking at the Olympus 4/3s... I just wanted some general advice about whether there's one that's best to start off with or any that you would recommend over other Olympuses...

thanks!

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    GX1 =) Or G3. But the real question is why are you looking at olympus? Not that they are bad or anything, but it would help gauge answers.

And if you can wait for the new 16MP sensors to trickle down, I'd do that before anything on olympus (or just preorder the E-M5 =)

3. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    What do you expect an Olympus m4/3 body to offer that your GF1 does not?

4. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Your money might be better invested in lenses unless you're really finding something really lacking in your GF1.

5. banana101

banana101 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 5, 2011
    London
    Purely superficial reasons I suppose. I wanted a new camera, a change and the olympuses look really nice.. I also really like some of the lenses that you can get for the olympus named the 40-150mm and the 9-18

6. banana101

banana101 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 5, 2011
    London
    Ok.. I'm a real camera noob so half of my questions are really stupid! With respect to the lenses that I'm interested in, if I were to stick with the GF1 (I do genuinely want a new camera though) would I need just the one adapter for all Olympus lenses, or one adapter for each?

7. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    No adapter necessary - all Micro 4/3 lenses (Olympus, Panasonic, Voigtlander, etc) will work on all Micro 4/3 bodies.

This will show you everything that will work on your GF1:
    Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

• Like Like x 1
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've been in both camps and there are some very nice things that Olympus bodies will give you. First off IQ is likely not going to be that different than what you have. Everything from the GF1 to the newest E-P3 all use essentially the same sensor. The Panasonic G3, GX1, GH1 and GH2 all use a different sensor (that is higher resolution and better) but for practical purposes the gF1 and the Olympus bodies will all produce VERY similar results. For instance I am a big fan of the Panasonic G2 and it is genrally seen as having an inferior sensor (despite it being the same as the GF1, GF2, GF3 and G1) and I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between shots from the G2 and my E-PL1, P1, PM1 and PL2. Now, what you DO get with Olympus bodies is warmer more "pleasing" color OOC. A better JPEG engine (although I have never had an issue with Panasonic JPEGs), better Auto WB and better default metering. The newer bodies like the E-P3, PL3 and PM1 are quite fast to AF, fast shot to shot, have full HD video and if you are so inclined have a much better available EVF than the GF1 does.

The big question is what are you looking for in an Olympus body that the GF1 does not have? I'm not saying keep the GF1 because Olympus make nice bodies and they have some nice features...just depends on what you want as to whether they would be something you might want.

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    They do look good. The Olympus lenses would also work on the GF2 although since they Olympus cameras have IBIS the lenses do not. You definitely get the most benefit (if you want stabilization) using Olympus bodies as the IBIS works on legacy glass as well as native...and if you prefer the stabilization built into the Panasonic lenses you can use that.

I think if I were moving form a GF1 I'd be inclined to look at the E-PL3.

• Like Like x 1
  10. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I should add here that if you're set on Olympus glass, and want to use the 40-150 a lot, that's a pretty significant reason to get an Olympus body. Olympus bodies have built-in stabilization (but the lenses don't), where Panasonic has the stabilization in the lenses (that's what Mega OIS is). This doesn't matter too much on a superwide like the 9-18, but once you get out past 45mm, it starts to help a whole lot if you're not on a tripod or if the lighting isn't ideal.

If that's the case (and money isn't that much of an issue), the E-M5 would be the best body for stabilization and low-light capabilites. The tilt-screen is also awesome for wide lenses like the 9-18 because you can get dramatic low-angle shots with it and still see what you're doing.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Both of those will work fine on your Panasonic! I think you'll find additional lenses will add more to your photography than a slightly improved body could.

DH