Potential Laptop/Electronics Ban - Looking for Opinions/Options

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
The BBC reports US and EU officials have decided against a ban on laptops and tablets in cabin baggage on flights from Europe. Thank Heavens.
Thank god sanity (for once) prevails. We can all breath a sigh of relief.

Phew, this has been a very useful thread with some sweating.

US & EU ruling on BBC for anyone interested:
US and EU reject expanding laptop ban to flights from Europe - BBC News

I've got an upcoming UK to Canada trip so insurance small-print/T&C's and waiting on the 'decision' has been fun. As if insurance companies are businesses and want to make money!
Included in that article is a link to this. Electronics ban: How will this affect me?... also worth reading, especially for those asking about insurance coverage!

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
The BBC reports US and EU officials have decided against a ban on laptops and tablets in cabin baggage on flights from Europe. Thank Heavens.
Hooray, smarter heads have prevailed!

Now the question is, do I keep the WD Wireless Passport Pro that I just bought, or do I return it? Hmm...

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not only will [China] enforce the spare loose battery rule in checked baggage with vigor, but they will also thoroughly inspect any batteries, including battery based chargers, for appropriate ratings and safety labels.
Which is ironic considering almost all of those probably originated from Chinese manufacturers to begin with and those labels may or may not be legitimate. ;)

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
I believe it is not quite that simple. In the USA & UK it is not actually prohibited by law to put lithium batteries in checked baggage, hence why they have been able to implement the ban that is already in place so quickly. Whereas in Australia, the EU, and no-doubt other countries, it is actually illegal to check in your lithium batteries, and hence the implementation of a laptop ban which required them to be put in checked bags would require a law change, which is not always so straightforward :)
I guess what matters is what you mean by illegal. From my understanding, it's the same in both the US and Australia. It's not illegal in the sense of a criminal penalty. It's illegal in terms of a civil penalty. Will they arrest you for checking in spare li-ion batteries in Australia? In the US, the FAA may issue a civil monetary penalty. Similarly in Australia, the CASA may issue a civil monetary penalty. In general, countries follow ICAO rules. Just like the tampering with a smoke detector in the bathroom rule.

kiwirobfinland

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
rob
Hmmm... We have LähiTapiola as well but I haven't noticed that kind "exclusion". I'll definitely have to dig into this since I wouldn't want any unpleasant surprises if something did happen. Thanks for the heads up!
We have a flight in five weeks so i will check with LähiTapiola some time in the next week.
I have asked them about it before and they said its not covered and that they dont have a policy that does cover it.
If they say to you that they do cover your gear in the plane hold let me know and i can ask them again.

kiwirobfinland

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
rob
I obviously don't know how insurance works in Finland, but here in the US I have a separate policy through my insurer that covers all of my camera equipment. It covers my gear anywhere in the world, from loss, theft, damage, etc. So if I'm on holiday and something happens to my gear, I'll be covered.

It's not so much an issue for me, because I'll only have to deal with this electronics ban on my trip home (getting the gear over to Europe wont' be an issue in my carry-on). But for Europeans that wish to come to the US, it's more of a hassle because if your gear is stolen or damaged on the trip over, you now don't have any way to take photos during your trip.

I agree, I thoroughly enjoy documenting vacations with photos and videos.
Our insuance works the same but they dont cover your cameras if they are put in the plane hold i dont know why.
We were planing New York next year but now we might leve it .
New York without a camera that just seems wrong.

kiwirobfinland

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
rob
I read that this morning and i thought great untill i got to the quote from an official which read the ban maybe interduced at any time. Somehow i dont think this is going away anytime soon with OZ and other places bringing it in. The EU will follow at some point but lets hope i am wrong.

WT21

Super Moderator
So.... Can I fly from the US to Canada and back with a laptop?? I need to go there for business in June.

NoSeconds

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Troy
Our insuance works the same but they dont cover your cameras if they are put in the plane hold i dont know why.
We were planing New York next year but now we might leve it .
New York without a camera that just seems wrong.

I dunno if you've seen airport baggage handlers in action but they usually load the plane's hold with a slingshot or catapult and unload by opening the bay doors and kicking bags out onto the tarmac...

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
We have a flight in five weeks so i will check with LähiTapiola some time in the next week.
I have asked them about it before and they said its not covered and that they dont have a policy that does cover it.
If they say to you that they do cover your gear in the plane hold let me know and i can ask them again.
Just sent an email to my insurance guy. I'll let you know when (and what) he replies.

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just sent an email to my insurance guy. I'll let you know when (and what) he replies.
This is the way to know for sure. I don't know about Finland, but here in the US it really depends on what the rules are when you signed up for your policy. For example, many insurance companies will not insure smartphones any more but if you signed up for your policy when they did, you are grandfathered in.

Another option is to get a travel insurance policy. They are cheap as long as you don't need them to cover the cost of the trip. Laptops and cameras are generally considered baggage just like any other baggage. Beware of the per item limit though. For example a $2000 laptop may only be covered for $600 max. Travel insurance in general is a good idea for the emergency medical coverage.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom