1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Posting off-site hosted images

Discussion in 'Site information' started by Spuff, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Because gallery space here is limited I have posted images hosted on ImageShack.
    Example:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f40/macro-rig-8283/

These images make the page scroll slowly.
    Is this a problem with ImageShack or am I doing something wrong?
    Does the issue occur with other image hosters or can you tell me ones where it won't happen?

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

That page looks fine to me. It's possible that the post in which you added several makes it seem to jump slightly but it's not a big deal on my connection at all. I wouldn't even have noticed. I think all is AOK, Spuff.

I have a very fast connection - it's called Verizon Fios... I happen to use Flickr but many use Smugmug, etc. and I'm sure ImageShack.

P.S. I just rechecked and really I see no problems at all.

3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    I always struggle with ImageShack and get the same problem as you Spuff on any thread or other location with ImageShack-linked images ... I suspect it's heavily throttled by UK ISPs, but that US users like BB won't have the same problem ... I have also noticed Smugmug being slower ... with Flickr, only rarely any problems ..

4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Thanks for the replies. So it seems the problem is country specific (I'm in the UK).
    I was reluctant to join up to Flickr because it seems to require a subscription.

5. BBW

Flickr is free at a certain level. I can't remember the details. I did start out that way, but then realized that for me it was a great means to an end. A "pro account" is $25 dollars a year, I believe. Take your time.

I'm glad pdh has chimed in.

6. Fickr is free up to a total of 200 displayed images.

• Like Like x 1
  7. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    You can host your images for free at Zooomr. It is supposed to be unlimited. I have had very good luck posting images there and they give you the proper code for different sizes too. They have a very good and fast uploader too.

About Zooomr

I use Zenfolio now though. Here are some images from Zooomr.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    i finally gave in and bought myself a paid-for flickr account just yesterday... i felt that £1.30 a month was reasonable to ensure I never had to worry about how many I was uploading ... the only tricky bit was merging the three free acounts I'd accumulated

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

OK pdh, so where it that link in your siggy line?:biggrin:

10. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    hah! touche, I suppose, but then patience, BB, is a virtue ... I'm tidying it up at the moment and will probably link it from my profile as I don't want my sig too cluttered ... oh, HNY

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ihave had great experience with Shutterfly.

Images I loaded several years ago are still there