Posting Multiple Photos

@kb1142 , I actually find it easier to skip over a single post with lots of images than many consecutive posts of a single image. If someone is going to post 5 pictures of the same topic, I'd prefer they be in one post, rather than taking up a huge portion of the current page (since the browser loads 1 page of 10 or whatever posts, independent of the number of photos).

kb1142

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Kevin
Virtually all the featured threads would fall foul of this limit. I doubt many would have made multiple posts in a thread to showcase the fullness of their work on a given trip/subject/theme. And the forum would have lost out on some great content as a result.
Just for clarification. I certainly did not mean to limit thread posts but the number of photos posted at one time on a thread. Now I am out.

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
people using this site to present a travelogue of their recent trip to somewhere or their child in some sporting event is boring

Why not look at those images, it is a part of photography that tells stories. It is also respect towards people to show their photos as well.

I think that those threads should have an important place on a forum. That makes a forum like a big family.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
Kevin. Hang on in there mate. I wasn't too happy about that comment either.

Mike, nobody is attempting to "have unnecessary control," they're just asking if there's a consensus on the matter. If that were the case, you could argue that subsequent posts were also an attempt to "have control"

(unmeasured) responses to threads such as this can often have an undesired effect to the detriment of the community. I waded through a thread once about displaying other format images in general threads and the responses to that have prevented me from displaying images other than m43. Those images, may be interest to members interested in birding, but will not now be seen by them. I just didn't like the "flak" that the thread generated so no longer post images taken with other formats. Similar responses arose during the previous format change where some members said they would leave if it was thrown open to other formats.

Likewise, now I am wondering if my thread yesterday was appropriate, ( Columbia)? I have literally dozens of shots of harajuku day, all on one topic but all of different personalities/dress. Do these have to be posted individually one by one in their own single post under the "street" or "portrait" thread, or will I bore the arse off somebody by doing same? Should I start it's own thread or will someone skip over it thinking it's just another boring travel or family thread?

You can please some of the people some of the time...................blahdy blahdy blah ;-)

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
I like the idea of a limit. 6 pics. That's your lot. Actually that's plenty.
Where do all the photos go?
Saved up in a giant computer somewhere?
Whose is it?
Why are they doing it?
It must cost a small fortune?

Oh,go ahead and post from other camera types,is my opinion. I do it as long as it is not designated as a certain type of forum. However,it would not do to post mostly from non m-43 media. If I happen to have another brand of camera in my hand and later wish to post on the "kitty" forum.or the "reptile "forum. I go ahead. No rigidity is need as long as people are being honest. Just some things irritate people,not others. So one should be free to say it.
For example ,some forums get too anal about small choices,such as "I am going to Outer Mongolia, Which is the proper lens kit for the trip." OK once or twice,OK, but over and over. Agggh!! Just my feeling.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Likewise, now I am wondering if my thread yesterday was appropriate, ( Columbia)? I have literally dozens of shots of harajuku day, all on one topic but all of different personalities/dress. Do these have to be posted individually one by one in their own single post under the "street" or "portrait" thread, or will I bore the arse off somebody by doing same? Should I start it's own thread or will someone skip over it thinking it's just another boring travel or family thread?
Of course it's appropriate. From what I've seen the vast majority of featured threads come from many images posted to their own thread. A featured thread wouldn't make much sense if it were one or two photos.

I also notice that the number of photos posted tend to be regulated by the subject. Landscape are usually two or three, as are sky/cloud shots. Moon shots are usually one at a time. Aircraft, cars, action, sports, etc. seem to run in multiples. Portraits a few at a time. Of course there are exceptions to all, but this looks like the norm.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
I have seen several posts about limiting the number of photos that are permitted in one post. Is this something that we would want to consider while we wade through the new site changes? Personally it bothers me when someone posts endless photos in one post, as I find it annoying to scroll through, buries other members posts, and in my opinion just a bit selfish. Featured threads are of course different, and certainly there is value to having them on this forum. Just thought that I would make some sort of attempt to address this, and to find out how others feel. Thank You.
Kevin, i've quoted you OP just to keep context as we are now onto the second page.

My initial reaction was full disagreement with you............ but having read all the responses i'm not so sure. I'm going to break this reply up into a number of dot points.
  • Feature Threads: these do NOT start as feature threads, there is no way of knowing in advance if a thread will end up featured so saying they are different is just defeating your own argument.
  • The site has thousands of shared threads covering nearly every topic you could think of in which a majority of members will post 1 to 4 pictures at a time with 1 or 2 being the norm. Now when someone comes along and adds more than that in one of these threads it can be frustrating.
  • People posting new seemingly random threads with 1 or more images, no text or story that would easily fit better into one of the shared threads is even worse.... more so when they are not even taken with an OLY camera! Put your images into one of the shared threads.
  • There is plenty of threads and space to post images from other camera's and many of them are highly enjoyable.
  • New threads started to tell a story regardless of whether you the reader find it boring (then skip on) should NOT be limited in the number of images used to illustrate the story.... hey we are a photo heavy site.
  • under NO circumstances should threads have artificial limits imposed just to keep some happy
  • Members SHOULD respect the normal/average number of images posted at a time in a thread..... if most post one then try and limit yourself to the same.
Many times i'll add a few images to a shared thread breaking them into individual posts with usually a little time to allow others to slot in some of there own, works well on the busier threads but not so easy on the slower threads.

Richard_M

Mu-43 Regular
I'm of the opinion if I have multiple photos, I try and put them into one post. My reasoning is, if others are viewing the thread and they don't like my photos they can scroll right past. I'm on forums where members will create ten posts with one image in each to try and improve their 'like' count, which is displayed under their 'post' count.

Richard_M

Mu-43 Regular
Quite often I'd like to add a like or winner to a particular photo but I'm put off when I can't mark the photo because it is in a group of photos in one post.
Unfortunately, this is where forums are going the way of social media. While its nice to receive 'Likes' or 'Winner' tags etc., it is rather impersonal, IMO. I would rather have others comment or critique photos. However, it does become difficult in fast moving threads. Plus taking time to critique photos is not always easy considering the number of images we can get subjected to on a daily basis.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Unfortunately, this is where forums are going the way of social media. While its nice to receive 'Likes' or 'Winner' tags etc., it is rather impersonal, IMO. I would rather have others comment or critique photos. However, it does become difficult in fast moving threads. Plus taking time to critique photos is not always easy considering the number of images we can get subjected to on a daily basis.
I would already consider ALL the common shared threads in the "Images to share" section of the forum as "social media" type threads. they allow us to share images with common themes and get some likes/winners/etc.

Mind you i somewhat agree with the impersonal comment but i've long since got over it and use those threads to throw up images i think others may enjoy..... the silent critique becomes a lack of likes in comparison to others and the learning opportunity becomes to look at the other images and see what others are currently liking or loving .... if what you see doesn't fit in your personal style then it doesn't matter :)

There is a dedicated section for comments and critiques https://www.mu-43.com/forums/comments-and-critique.147/
highly underutilized it seems based on the thread count :)

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Quite often I'd like to add a like or winner to a particular photo but I'm put off when I can't mark the photo because it is in a group of photos in one post.
And I'm the opposite. I prefer to look at several and rate them as a group instead of individual photos. I think if someone wants direct commentary it'd be better to post in the critique section. When I like a photo I'm also liking the photographer's work. One photograph in a group that doesn't enthuse me isn't enough to make me not like the group or their talent. As they say, one bad apple...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom