Posting Multiple Photos

kb1142

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Kevin
I have seen several posts about limiting the number of photos that are permitted in one post. Is this something that we would want to consider while we wade through the new site changes? Personally it bothers me when someone posts endless photos in one post, as I find it annoying to scroll through, buries other members posts, and in my opinion just a bit selfish. Featured threads are of course different, and certainly there is value to having them on this forum. Just thought that I would make some sort of attempt to address this, and to find out how others feel. Thank You.

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I use a forum that limits images in one post, sometimes i find it frustrating if i want to show an series of action images, if you do street, landscape or many other things it may be ok but one size does not fit all.

I don't see any problem currently. It is not very often that I see posts with a long string of photos, and if there are they are all within the topic.

My pet peeve is the opposite: Threads that consist of a single photo, no explanation, no description, no context, just a single photo. I try to ignore those. They clutter things up and tend to not get much response anyway.

kb1142

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Kevin
I don't see any problem currently. It is not very often that I see posts with a long string of photos, and if there are they are all within the topic.

My pet peeve is the opposite: Threads that consist of a single photo, no explanation, no description, no context, just a single photo. I try to ignore those. They clutter things up and tend to not get much response anyway.
Most posts, including mine, only have one photo. The photo IS the explanation. Saying that a single photo clutters things up is beyond my intellectual capacity. I get plenty of response.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
Most posts, including mine, only have one photo. The photo IS the explanation. Saying that a single photo clutters things up is beyond my intellectual capacity. I get plenty of response.
I believe he is discussing a thread for a single photo, not a post with a single photo.

kb1142

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Kevin

Ron correctly points out that I misinterpreted your post. This is true. You mentioned single photo threads, not posts. Sorry about that. I agree with you about single photo threads though.

www.tinroofvideo.com

This is just my personal opinion: A thread is used to post something new and unique. A single photo with no context, question, story, etc. is not new and/or unique enough to warrant a new thread. Therefore it clutters things. That single photo would most likely be best in one of the subject/theme threads were it will be seen by more people as they browse said subject.

kb1142

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Kevin
This is just my personal opinion: A thread is used to post something new and unique. A single photo with no context, question, story, etc. is not new and/or unique enough to warrant a new thread. Therefore it clutters things. That single photo would most likely be best in one of the subject/theme threads were it will be seen by more people as they browse said subject.
I agree with this 100%. My point is that I believe the site would be better served if we limited thread posts to a certain number. I don't know what that number is, but 2-3 is what feels about right to me.

I agree with this 100%. My point is that I believe the site would be better served if we limited thread posts to a certain number. I don't know what that number is, but 2-3 is what feels about right to me.
As I said up thread, I don't see any problems currently. It is very rarely that I recall seeing a post that had so many images that I even noticed.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
Limiting the number of photos in a new post in an existing thread seems OK, if I have many pictures to show I would start a new thread and show an example in the existing thread with a link to the new one.
For a new thread I think the number of photos per post could be larger (not unlimited).

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Limiting the number of photos in a new post in an existing thread seems OK, if I have many pictures to show I would start a new thread and show an example in the existing thread with a link to the new one.
For a new thread I think the number of photos per post could be larger (not unlimited).
Often people put their photo stories in multiple posts on a new thread. The problem is those subsequent posts are not the initial post for a new thread any more, they are new posts in an existing thread. How would you distinguish those or would you prevent them from posting more images in such subsequent posts? Would you rather they start a new threads to continue their story?

I have seen several posts about limiting the number of photos that are permitted in one post. Is this something that we would want to consider while we wade through the new site changes? Personally it bothers me when someone posts endless photos in one post, as I find it annoying to scroll through, buries other members posts, and in my opinion just a bit selfish. Featured threads are of course different, and certainly there is value to having them on this forum. Just thought that I would make some sort of attempt to address this, and to find out how others feel. Thank You.
I agree that people using this site to present a travelogue of their recent trip to somewhere or their child in some sporting event is boring. I won't even look at them. A few shots illustrating some point is fine. I hope the site is primarily a photography site,not about your travels or your family.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Kevin, I get where your are coming from about excessive posts in a single thread I think the positive thing here is that it isn't frequent enough to warrant a rule, just my thought.I felt a little funny about posting two photo's in a row the other day but I am glad that we can if the urge moves us, of course I know you are speaking directly about those who post 5,8,10 in a row my attention span isn't that long even if they are great pics I end up blazing thru them.

comment23

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Simon
Virtually all the featured threads would fall foul of this limit. I doubt many would have made multiple posts in a thread to showcase the fullness of their work on a given trip/subject/theme. And the forum would have lost out on some great content as a result.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom