1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Posterized images from E-PL5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Replytoken, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I was briefly reviewing some sunset images that I shot the other night before culling and importing them into Lightroom. In the middle of the review, I noticed that several of the images were partially posterized in the shadows. Granted, I am viewing the embedded jpeg image in the raw files when I use FastStone Image Viewer for reviewing, but similar sunset shots from earlier in the week did not exhibit this problem. I will need to import the raw files and view them in the develop module of Lightroom for a closer examination, but as this is the first time that I have seen this problem, I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience. I'll try to post some sample images for comment when I get a chance.

Thanks,

--Ken

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Please do that Ken, I shoot sunset many times and I'm hoping can improve my skills too.:drinks:

3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Until I am able to actually analyze the raw file, I have clipped a 100% sample of the embedded jpeg for you to see.

posterized_sample.

It needs to be flipped 90 degrees, but this part of the image was the water reflection near the horizon line.

--Ken

4. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Good news. I quickly created a test catalog in Lightroom and imported the image. The raw file, and the preview created in LR look fine. I am not sure why the embedded jpeg posterized, but the ORF file seemed good. I hope to import the entire shoot this weekend, and will report back if there are any problems.

--Ken

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    maybe the embedded jpg was just a low quality preview purpose highly compressed image

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It's possible, but I never noticed it when quickly previewing images outside of Lightroom before. When time permits, I'll see if I can review some older files.

--Ken

7. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    It could also be a dynamic range issue with so many bright and dark areas.

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    +1. That would be my guess.

9. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I am not near my camera now, but I believe there is an option for highlight and shadow adjustment in JPEG that compresses highlight/shadow detail. Is this enabled? Perhaps someone else can chime in with details.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Mu-43 mobile app

10. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    G
    Gears/color WB/Shading Compensation.

Try turning that off.

P.

11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I checked the setting, and it was already off. But, it was a good suggestion, and a control setting that I was not aware of.

Thanks,

--Ken