Posterized images from E-PL5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Replytoken, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I was briefly reviewing some sunset images that I shot the other night before culling and importing them into Lightroom. In the middle of the review, I noticed that several of the images were partially posterized in the shadows. Granted, I am viewing the embedded jpeg image in the raw files when I use FastStone Image Viewer for reviewing, but similar sunset shots from earlier in the week did not exhibit this problem. I will need to import the raw files and view them in the develop module of Lightroom for a closer examination, but as this is the first time that I have seen this problem, I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience. I'll try to post some sample images for comment when I get a chance.

Thanks,

--Ken

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Please do that Ken, I shoot sunset many times and I'm hoping can improve my skills too.:drinks:

3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Until I am able to actually analyze the raw file, I have clipped a 100% sample of the embedded jpeg for you to see.

posterized_sample.jpg

It needs to be flipped 90 degrees, but this part of the image was the water reflection near the horizon line.

--Ken

4. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Good news. I quickly created a test catalog in Lightroom and imported the image. The raw file, and the preview created in LR look fine. I am not sure why the embedded jpeg posterized, but the ORF file seemed good. I hope to import the entire shoot this weekend, and will report back if there are any problems.

--Ken

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    maybe the embedded jpg was just a low quality preview purpose highly compressed image

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It's possible, but I never noticed it when quickly previewing images outside of Lightroom before. When time permits, I'll see if I can review some older files.

--Ken

7. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    It could also be a dynamic range issue with so many bright and dark areas.

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    +1. That would be my guess.

9. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I am not near my camera now, but I believe there is an option for highlight and shadow adjustment in JPEG that compresses highlight/shadow detail. Is this enabled? Perhaps someone else can chime in with details.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Mu-43 mobile app

10. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    G
    Gears/color WB/Shading Compensation.

Try turning that off.

P.

11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I checked the setting, and it was already off. But, it was a good suggestion, and a control setting that I was not aware of.

Thanks,

--Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.