Post Processing Paralysis

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by aukirk, Jul 27, 2014.

1. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I have a mounting problem... I just can't seem to ever finish culling and editing photos from any given project/shoot. Photography is a hobby and distraction from my real job... unfortunately, lately I have continued to shoot without coming close to keeping up with the editing process. It seems lately that even when I do have time to edit some, I never actually end up finishing any of my "projects" (folders in Aperture for a given day shooting). I just keep going through a project, editing a few, and then jump to another project, but never finish any!

Anyone have any tips or words of wisdom... (other than to stop shooting and spend more time editing what I have already shot).

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    shooting jpegs and do jpeg editing on ipad (way more fun).

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

• Like Like x 4
  3. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I have moments like that, I finished a bunch of photos almost a month after I took them because I simply couldn't finish them when I first took them.

One thing that does help me is to go a different direction with your editing eg if I imagine the shoot to be bright and colourful and I've done a good amount of images like that but I keep getting stuck or just can't be bothered, I would then intentionally do a very dark, muted colour muckaround and see if that gets me going or look at landscape shots and see what I think would look good.

headphones, coffee and VSCO presets also helps

4. I'm still flitting back and forth between unedited images from as far back as seven years ago. I'd be more concerned about running out of images to process than having too many.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    ^ this !

As William suggested, try something different.....even if all you do is a different crop. A fresh starting point and you never know where it may end up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Stop shooting your dog and you'll have 80% less work :biggrin:
    For Lightroom users the remedy is to start using presets, not sure if Aperture has similar.
    Quick JPEG fix in auto/smart/presets may save you a lot of time and be sufficient for most shots.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I don't know what Aperture offers, but in LR I always go through my shots, flag the good ones and then create a Collection from those flagged photos for further processing, then culling further from within the Collection. This means that you are only working on a smaller number of photos and are not distracted by the bulk of the full set.

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Pretend you have a deadline ... deliver on time or no dinner.

9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I agree with Oz. Sorting and culling is the most boring part of the process. Try and do it right away after the shoot. I download to my ipad and use photosmith to sort so I am pretty much sorted by the time I get home. If you still have to many, cull some more.

The quickest editing can be done with Nik software. Save your own favourite settings as presets - shouldnt take long per photo.

10. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    This is what I was going to suggest. Process only the best shots first. The rest can be raw material for a rainy day. Also, as you spend more time on fewer photos, you'll find your favorite processing steps and be able to apply them more quickly to your other shots.

11. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    Another way of dealing with it is publishing photos (if that's your wish) in parts I, II, III, IV, V and so on. The idea being that you can release 10-20 photos at a time, and only focus on those.

Oftentimes I've been so deadstuck on ONLY uploading the album, when everything is totally edited and ready - which is a limiter, especially when you don't have the time for it.

12. bartjeej

bartjeej Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    All my ideas have been mentioned already, but I'll list them anyway...
    -be strict in deciding which images are worth processing (or publishing) in the first place. Crucial skill for any photographer.
    -use jpegs if you can. I don't have m43 gear but my Fuji X100 allows me to use jpegs in +/- 90% of the situations; they hardly ever need major work.
    -use presets or fixed routines when processing

oh, and one more thing, know when something is good enough - oftentimes I'll find myself stuck wondering which tiny little adjustment looks better, when both would look perfectly fine to me (and anyone else) if I looked at it as an image rather than as a post-processing project.

13. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I back up all raw images (often shoot both raw/jpeg for quick use) and then process those that I like (notice I didn't say the best), and work on the rest when I have time. In this time of not much printing and such good jpeg images out of camera it really a matter of personal choice. I always shoot raw as for microstock placement I still want the very best quality. Yes LightRoom presets and the ability to bulk apply them is a true time saver. The key here is don't stress about doing it if this is your hobby just do the ones you like and save the others for a rainy day.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Shoot jpegs plus raw.. One or the other just needs cropping or straightening. Then store on hard drive and look at them on a rainy day,No, take some pictures on a rainy day. I cull and discard a lot. I have over 200,000 images saved. Add some every day, Never, ever process all of them. I continue to cull.

15. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Photography is a hobby for me, focusing mainly on documenting where my family and I have travelled, and I unfortunately don't have the time I'd like to devote to it- especially for post-processing This has been an issue for both my wife and I, as we both take photographs when we travel and we too have a large folder in Aperture, a purgatory folder if you will, where they sit there for a while before being culled or possibly edited and filed. And in this digital age, it's way too easy to capture a lot of pictures. In that sense, I miss the old film days when your shot selection was more carefully considered. So I'm trying to return to my film days a bit.

For the vast majority of my pictures, JPEG's suffice and I'm trying my best to get it right- or more likely, good enough- in the camera. I've found that doing so takes a little bit more time to capture the image, which may not be a bad thing. It means fewer shots yes, but hopefully a higher percentage of keepers, less time in front of the computer, and more time for my day job and family. More and more I'm starting to alter aspect ratios (fully realizing I'm cropping away info), pay more attention to the histogram/blinkies, selectively employ HDR, and using the curves too/Oly's filters or whatever they're called to capture a specific mood. Only occasionally will I capture RAW's, and that's mostly for those photos that I know are going to be special that would benefit from additional PP.

16. gprana

gprana Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    IMHO (as a hobbyist photographer), a two-pronged approach would be best:
    • Reduce the number of files to edit: This can be done by being selective about what to photograph, and by deleting shots that aren't good enough as soon as we realize it (e.g. when viewing interim result in camera during a break). Further reduction can be done by grouping the photos by subject / location and choosing one or two photos from each group. E.g. if we're attending a cultural festival and there are several performances by different groups, perhaps we can pick just one or two photos from each group's performance.
    • Reduce the amount of editing needed for each file: This can be done by attempting to getting things right in camera (as much as possible), and by automating common editing tasks.

17. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Another vote for editing on mobile devices. I need better ergonomy for my desktop than where it's currently set up upstairs (it doubles as our entertainment center so it's set more for lounging than for real work!), and this often makes me less inclined to spend any real time in post. My sort of fun fix is to transfer images to my smartphone and use Nokia's editor, which, while not really for uber-serious tweaks on the micro scale (I'm not an uber-serious photographer anyway) does allow for some really cool effects that I quite like.

18. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I've been known to let photos sit idle for years. I took them, I see the undefined potential in them, but I just can't seem to move off the dime and DO something with them. Then one day, I'll be flipping through my digital images in ACDSee or some download software I'm testing, and all of a sudden I know EXACTLY what I should do with them. So don't be surprised if you see a small trickle of E500 and E30 photos added to my output in the future, I still got some aging in the "vault"!

19. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'll echo what others have said: Only process photos that you are going to "do something" with.

Beyond that, be realistic. I can tell myself I'm going to embrace post processing and shoot raw, but my reality is I just don't enjoy it, and I am way better off creating JPEGs that I am happy with SOOC.

20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I concur. I shoot what interests me, and when I need to output images for a project, I select the needed images, and work from there. Yes, I am a bit backed up at importing images into Lightroom, but that is a different issue. Unless I am shooting for a specific project, I like having a large stock of images to pull shots as needed.

--Ken