Post Processing Challenge No. 191

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by tyrphoto, Aug 16, 2015.

1. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    This is a photo I took from my trip to The Garden Of Morning Calm botanical gardens. This was actually the first test shot before taking another image which ended up being the keeper.

Since I've already post processed the other image, I know for a fact that there's a lot of latitude with this image. Should be fun seeing what everyone comes up with on this one.

20626878771_d6c7daf8a4_b.

RAW: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11680397/DSCF0143.RAF
    JPEG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11680397/DSCF0143.JPG

Contest will close Wednesday around midnight or maybe Thursday morning, South Korea time which is roughly early Wednesday morning to possibly some time later that evening EST (USA).
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by Lurch over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I would probably have been more at home with a native M43 file, but here's my attempt anyway.

DSCF0143-21.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    • Like Like x 1
  4. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Submitting today b/c I'm bored and have time. Honestly, I wouldn't have time during the week to come up with a new challenge if I won so please remove me from consideration. I just wanted to play around with the dynamic range of a Fuji file (very impressive).

i-L6MBKLC.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    My primary objectives were to bring a hint of detail and color to the sky, and to enhance the texture of the bark on the tree. I also straightened the image (based on the trunks of the conifers in the forest) and cropped it very slightly.

DSCF0143A.

*Edits made to improve the sky. I was inspired by Ed's fine work.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  6. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Your right, there is quite a lot of leeway, no where near as easy as a good Olympus raw though.

First one, the apparent lack of anything in the sky made it had to coax anything out of the image. Tried to keep what I hope is fairly accurate colours whilst getting as much mid range definition as possible
    Last was a horizontal flip as it felt better for the eyes to travel downhill when going left to right.

DSCF0143-1.

• Like Like x 3
  7. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    This one is the above image with a canvas effect layered over the top to show how it might look printed on canvas.

DSCF0143-2.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
  9. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Normal mucking about in LR and PS CC. Used the Dehaze slider a bit and did whatever I could to get some detail in the sky.

DSCF0143_Ed.

Another bit of fiddling in PS and a square crop for a B&W version.

DSCF0143_EdBW.

• Like Like x 3
  10. gengh

gengh Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2010
    Norway
    Hi,

some interesting versions posted so far.
    I really like the image, it has a nice flow. I used a 5x4 crop
    I used Nik Analog Efex, I hardly ever used this program but this is just playing so I gave it two shots.

The first in color
    MU43_PP_Challenge_color.

And the next in Sepia
    MU43_PP_Challenge_sepia.

11. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
  12. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I think I could spend hours on this one. LR5 lot of local adjustments, Viveza & Perfect Effects for the vingette in the sky. Tried to add a little color to the sky withe a grad with a tint, reduce the harsh shadows by using negative contrast, increase focus on the tree but lifting exposure on it and adding structure. Reduced yellows slightly and increased greens. Then I tried to bring back a little detail from the distant trees and hills. The halo around the tree trunk was bugging me so I tried to bring that back using contrast in LR5.

E3PJNMth.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  13. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Some really good entries so far. This is going to be hard picking a winner.

14. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Silver Efex Pro 2/LR cropped

C191-1.

and a tighter crop

C191v-1.

• Like Like x 2
  15. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    xtran1.

Couldn't get detail in the greens for the life of me and it felt like an uphill battle to avoid sharpening halos (it feels like fuji have luminosity sharpening on the RAW files or something?!).
    I don't even know what I was going for, I just kept fiddling til it seemed somewhat closer to ... something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    This one was tough to judge as there were a lot of great entries.

Tied for 2nd are AussiPhil's first image and EdH's first image.

The winner is siftu for bringing out the truest colors without going overboard, not only in the greens but in the sky as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Thanks for the win tyrphoto. I agree there were lots of great entries and really didn't think i was in the running.

I'll post the next challenge up shortly.