1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post-Processing Challenge No. 187

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by WhidbeyLVR, Jul 28, 2015.

1. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    I don't remember a bird challenge, so let's try this handheld shot of a Steller's jay I spied while on the Oregon coast last month.

P6102674_web.
    Steller's Jay (m.Zuiko 75-300 and E-P5)

JPG: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-LDJOgT2DpKOHkwbVpPcExJM1E
    RAW: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-LDJOgT2DpKSEFGdklkV0tUQ2s

Let's say the challenge will close Friday, July 31, at midnight (PDT, Seattle local time), but I probably won't post the results until sometime on Saturday, so I will be pretty lenient on closing time.

-----------

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a large size (preferably at least 1024 pixel) image. If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

3. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Brought the bird out from the background a bit and went for a square crop for both colour and monochrome...

P6102674_ed1.

P6102674_ed2.

• Like Like x 1
  4. P6102674.

Never seen the beasty in person, therefore don't know if colours in this picture are life-like.
    Cropping, negative clarity on the background, positive clarity and increased exposure on the bird.
    High pass sharpening only applied on the bird.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    • Like Like x 2
  6. onlyablur

onlyablur Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2012
    Hungary
  7. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 3
  8. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
  9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Thanks, album permission problem, now should be fixed.

10. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Lately, I've been playing around a lot with wide format using both 16:9 and 21:9 crops with street photography. In fact, I'm trying to start a project to do a storyboard using 21:9 with cinematic post processing to come up with a short story.

To me, this image was begging for a wide crop since there wasn't much interest above and below, rather only side to side.

Color:

Monochrome:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  11. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Hereford, UK
    Martin Connolly
    Couple of options:
    Color Efex Pro - added Sunlight, Lightened the centre, darkened the outside, vignette blur, detail extractor in a circle over the bird:
    P6102674-Edit.

Second option - going for an unsettling crop with the bird looking the "wrong" way for the composition:
    P6102674.

12. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Great submissions! Thanks to all who participated. The top three were very close. As always, it is tough to pick a winner, but that's my job, I guess. So drum roll, please...

Honorable mention to Martin Connolly (first entry). Color and detail retention were very good; I found the blurred vignette distracting.

2nd Runner Up: EdH (color version). I liked the color rendition, the background blurring, the slight straightening, and the retention of detail in the tail feathers. The square crop seemed less satisfying than others.

1st Runner Up: Tyr (color version). The color and detail were very nice, though perhaps slightly hot. I liked the straightening and the crop. I wish you had retained a bit more detail in the shadows.

Winner: Brian Beezley. The minimalist processing really worked for me. The color was the most natural. Nice balance of detail was left in the tail feathers. The composition with the crop was best overall. My only nitpicks are that you could have straightened the image and cloned out the distracting hole on the wooden stake.

13. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Ooooooooo . . . As usual when it occasionally occurs, I am surprised to have won! Thanks, Lyle. And I appreciate your helpful nitpicks.

Let me poke around and see what I can come up with for the next Challenge.

Brian

• Winner Winner x 1