Post Processing Challenge No. 186

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by tyrphoto, Jul 20, 2015.

1. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    I shot this a few days after buying my E-M5 Mk.II as I was a getting a feel for the camera and it's UI. It's a shot of the Dongdaemun Design Plaza which is a huge modern complex that began construction in 2009 and opened to the public just last year.

It's a simple shot in terms of compositions so it'll be interesting to see the different interpretations on this as well as the post processing techniques used to improve it.

OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 MK.II, 25MM, F8, 1/80, ISO 1250

Contest will close Sunday around midnight, South Korea time which is roughly early Sunday morning EST (USA).
    The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by Lurch over at" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.
  2. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Played around with this using mostly Studio Artist 4 adjust and warp.
    [​IMG]P0032 by Dave Buckle, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 2
  3. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I used NIK, Topaz Black and White 2 and Kubota Tools to get the grainy look I wanted.
    [​IMG]P32 by Dave Buckle, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 2
  4. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
  5. P5020032.

Removed some heads, but left the couple. Some work with Lumenzia (which I'm trying to understand), B/W rendering using Silver Efex pro.
    • Like Like x 6
  6. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Bit of mucking about in Lightroom and Photoshop CC, playing with adjustment layers and emboss overlay to give some depth to the shapes and textures.

• Like Like x 5
  7. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    I am away right now (so please don't pick me) and only have my phone with me. Edited the jpeg with snapseed. Crop to 16:9, B&W, contrast & tone, dodge & burn to try and separate the features and show to curves. Finally I added a vignette.

I cant see so well on the small screen but I should probably dodge the top right.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    A pair of quick snap seed edits. Going for an anime/dystopian SF/gritty feel, the second cropped to 16:9 and faux tilt/shift to draw attention to a 'protagonist'.

• Like Like x 6
  9. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 5, 2014
    19675160128_e663ac9109_b (2).
    Seemed like a perfect opportunity to use my new Cubism algorithm.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    #1 LR + NIK Silver Effx Pro

#2 LR plus adjustments...

• Like Like x 4
  11. caspert79

caspert79 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2013
  12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    There were a lot of interesting interpretations on this one but as always, there can only be one winner.

The winner is WhidleyLVR's image, which has the closest color match of the building in real life and I like the 16:9 crop on this. Another important factor for me was the ability to retain the detail at the far end of the "tunnel" which got blown out by the sun coming thru.

Runner ups were EdH's 2nd image and protapic's 1st image and special honorable mention to mattia's 2nd image that looks other-worldly in a sci-fi kind of way.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  13. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Thanks, Tyr!

I will post the next challenge within two days.