Post Processing Challenge No. 176

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by vorlon1, Jun 1, 2015.

1. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    This image was taken on the way to work on the Florida Turnpike, out my car window. The smoke attracted my attention, but I never did anything with the image. EM 5 at 1/800, f/6.3, 45mm, ISO 200.

18364540315_cde8e54572_b. smoke by vorlon44, on Flickr

RAW: http://vorlon1.com/smoke.ORF
    JPEG: http://vorlon1.com/smoke.jpg

Contest will close Thursday around 9 PM, US Eastern time.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by Lurch over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Ok decided to have a bit of fun with this one and recreate a bit of WWII feel

I did a real quick job and it's far from perfect but it's a blend with a CC image from the war (https://flic.kr/p/4YL6Ug). LR5, PSE 13 a Nik Analog efex were all used.

J6MUEOx.

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Color:

Monochrome:

• Like Like x 3
  4. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

Here's my first entry:

18361062836_560090a1c0_b. Challenge 176-1 by Jamison Sword, on Flickr

In LR I cropped like crazy, adjusted contrast, as well as luminance on the blue, cyan, yellow and green channels, added extra grain, and did some mild split-toning in orange and blue. Then I took it over to PS, cleaned up some distracting elements, and added a border, just for kicks.

And my second:
    18200523510_30b684b877_b. Challenge 176-2 by Jamison Sword, on Flickr

For the second version I decided to have some fun and do something wild and post-apocalyptic. I played around with drastic over-exposure, split-toning, different saturation and luminance levels on certain color channels, and some added grain. Everything was done in Lightroom.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  5. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  6. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    at first I looked at this and asked myself what can be done with this one, and then like others, go with the disaster/war theme. some of these look like from old war photo collection

smoke-Edit-Edit.

smoke_HDR.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 2
  8. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I took the B&W image I had done earlier into Studio Artist 4 and did some stuff there. I then back to PS to blend the two images together.
    Smoke by Dave Buckle, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  9. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    I wanted to keep it subtle. Just some cropping and exposure adjustments, and a few small tweaks in GIMP.

DSCF0656-DSCF0658_blended_fused_B.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    ^^^^ JK! That was a wildfire we saw across Yellowstone Lake back in 2011.

11. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    WhidbeyLVR it's a really nice pic. Well done

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. WhidbeyLVR

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Color and not:

smoke-1A.

smoke-1B.

13. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Thanks to everyone for working on this image. As usual, it's interesting to see everyone's vision and creativity. For sheer creativity and imagination, the winner is Siftu, First runner up goes to WhidbeyLVR for the color shot, and second runner up to protapic for the closely cropped color shot. Special mention to WhidbeyLVR for his shot of Yellowstone Lake. I was thinking, damn, he really improved my image, I don't even recognize it anymore. :bravo-009:

• Like Like x 4
  14. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Thanks vorlon1. I must say when I first saw the image I was thinking what can I do with this? I like these types of pictures as it makes me experiment with things I normally wouldn't even think about.

New challenge will be posted shortly.

15. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Excellent.