1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post-Processing Challenge No 168

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by siftu, Apr 22, 2015.

1. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    This one was taken on one of my morning walks in a park nearby. I have supplied a full sized jpeg for the jpeg developers with only the highlights pulled down a little (I usually ETTR) else they will appear blown for them.

RA1DIx7.

jpeg: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/906920/images/P4090296_LR.jpg
    RAW: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/906920/images/P4090296.ORF

Contest will close Saturday evening PDT when I have free time :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by Lurch over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    #1 HD crop, NIK HDR adjustments, Aperture contrast and sharpening

C168_HDR.

#2 And some of the above but green. Just thought that it looked cool in green.

C168_HDR (1).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
  4. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 3
  5. sesser

sesser Zen Master

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    • Like Like x 5
  6. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    For the colour one, I duplicated the raw file in LR to have 3 copies, then adjusted the exposure slightly on the first copy of the file to highlight a bit of colour into the branches, kept the second copy as is, then turned down the exposure a lot on the third file as the grass looked a bit over exposed then blended all 3 copies of the file into one file in Photomatix to try and bring in all aspects of the dynamic range of the image, then imported back to LR. In LR, applied a 16:9 crop, +13 contrast, +56 green saturation, +25 hue +45 sharpening, +90 noise reduction +80 noise reduction detail.

For the B&W, I exported the file in LR to Silver Effects Pro 2, underexposed the file by -1, applied Selenium toning, then imported back to LR. In LR, I cropped again to 16:9, then applied minor sharpening. masking and noise reduction.

I did all this external editing because I don’t have Photoshop; maybe I should.

P4090296_-2_-3_tonemapped.JPG P4090296-Edit.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  7. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

P409 by dbuckle2695, on Flickr
    I used Kubota Tools Actions and Perfect Effects 4

P4092 by dbuckle2695, on Flickr
    Black and White conversion done with Kubota Tools

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    Below the message box, there is the "Upload a Photo" button right to the "Post Reply" button:
    Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 8.37.05 AM.
    Once you choose a photo from your PC, this box pops up below the message box: Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 8.38.15 AM.
    Finally you can click on the "Click Here to Insert Image into Post" button to have the photo show up in the message box.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. thenextpage

thenextpage Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2014

11. thenextpage

Oct 13, 2014
    Tree-4.

Sorry dog! Just couldn't get you to look right. Processed with LR5.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Decided to do something out of the ordinary.

#1: Wide crop

#2:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  13. yorik

yorik Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2013
    Scotts Valley, CA
    Yonatan
    LR 5 for 2x3 crop and adjustments, then Silver Efex for the conversion (and frame - which I now realize you can't see, because it's white), then a little more LR5...

ppChallenge2.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Try #1. Dodging/burning, local contrast and color temperature changes. Oh yes, and the dog...

P4090296 copy.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

And try #2. A closer crop and cloning out all the non-vegetation.

P4090296_2 copy.

• Like Like x 2
  16. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Thanks to everyone for their entries. Lots of creativity shown here.

Winner: I think sesser captured what I had in the my mind the best. The dark foreground leading into the light. Is this the orton effect?
    Runner up: tyrphoto, very creative I like it.

I hand over the reins to sesser

• Like Like x 2
  17. thenextpage

Oct 13, 2014
    Sesser, hello mate. In case you weren't aware, the OP selected your entry as the one to proceed with the next challenge in the series. So you're up!

18. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Thanks thenextpage. I was planning on doing this message tonight. If sesser doesn't respond I'll pass it to the runner up.

19. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    OK I'm giving it to tyrphoto. tyrphoto you are now tagged and can continue the contest.

Good luck

20. sesser

sesser Zen Master

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    Oh shoot! I've been on this site several times since Saturday and I totally missed this! Thanks for the nomination. Really appreciate it. I'm out of town for work until Thursday but I might be able to muster up something tomorrow if it's not too late. Otherwise, I'll take a backseat and let tyrphoto create the next contest.