Post-Processing Challenge No. 165

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by siftu, Apr 9, 2015.

1. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I tried to find an image which can be pushed in a lot of ways. Hope people have fun with this. Closes Sunday 12 noon PDT (ish)

This image was taken in South Perth,Aus on a recent trip there.

VApgJUd.

Link to the RAW https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/906920/PP165/P2060133.ORF

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by Lurch over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    16904643270_f651d1c541_b.

and here is my cheat button, lr template somewhere from russia

• Like Like x 3
  3. blinky

blinky Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Missouri
    P2060133.
    Here's my take on the image. Made with rawtherapee

• Like Like x 2
  4. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    #1 (vertical crop)
    P2060133zB.

P2060133zArt.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    • Like Like x 3
  6. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    • Like Like x 5
  7. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    17098354875_4e2dff97e5_b.

Sepia conversion, a bit of contrast added, low-level vignette and slight solarizaition

• Like Like x 2
  8. DaninFLA

DaninFLA Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    Dan
    exposure/contrast/saturation and a few dodge/burn edit1-2060133.

• Like Like x 6
  9. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Just started using Lightroom again now that I decided to migrate away from Aperture since it's days are numbered. Just upgraded from v4 to the current latest version a few days ago and this is actually my first post-process in the new version after a long hiatus from Lightroom.

I'm so used to Aperture, I feel pretty clumsy using Lightroom again but I guess I just need some hours to get settled in.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  10. DaninFLA

DaninFLA Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    Dan
    edit2-2060133.

second entry. B&W with tighter crop on sailboats, and selective blurring

• Like Like x 2
  11. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Adjustments in Aperture, NIK tools

C165.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Some pretty extreme contrast and color adjustments combined with some impressionist touches(done with my finger on my iPad) on the trees:
    image.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    First attempt - fairly minor adjustments to levels, contrast etc. Slight horizon correction and crop - all in DXO:
    challenge165_v1.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr

This one is with more subdued colors than the first entry. Ran this thru Alien Skin Exposure's Kodachrome simulation along with basic Lightroom adjustments.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  17. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Entry 2 - basic adjustments in DXO, lens blur to add depth in Perfect Effects, slight saturation changes in PSE:
    challenge165_v2.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    My 2nd attempt. The solarization effects were done with my finger on my iPad.
    image.

• Like Like x 1
  19. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Ok better a bit late than never. Thanks for the submissions everyone.

Winner: WidbeyLVR submission #1. I really like the vertical crop on this. I think it really added to the image. Well done
    Runnerup: Corad. I think you nailed the sky and water colors

• Like Like x 2
  20. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Thank you, siftu. And thanks to everyone who participated. I will post the new challenge tomorrow (Monday).