Post Processing Challenge No. 157

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by protapic, Mar 10, 2015.

1. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Thought that maybe we should begin this contest with a shot having a reflection included. Pulled out this picture from a trip to West Virginia boy scout campground. The rickety foot bridge across the stream stays in my memory not only for its scenic beauty, but for the wasp nest under the bridge that bounced up and down with the bridge as you crossed it (which is visible on left side), and the nice sting I received being too close to that $#&@ nest that morning....

bridge (1) by protapic, on Flickr

JPG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0z6e2aasv4m5wg/bridge.jpg?dl=0
    Raw: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwvwzgz900caz2a/bridge.RW2?dl=0

Closes sometime Friday evening. (EST)

----------------------------------------------------

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    On import: brought exposure down, brought up shadows, increased vibrance
    In photoshop: cropped 16/9, increased contrast, added gradient filter to water, added blur filter to water, added warmth/contrast in shadows, removed power line reflection

• Like Like x 4
  3. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 10
  4. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    A first attempt at these competitions. Still have much to learn, but I took a stab with something I learnt recently.

PPComp157 Edit.

• Like Like x 3
  5. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Thought I would go a little left field for these two

First one is a mirror of the mirror image with some oil painting to give it an arty feel.

bridge%20arty.

The second is a 2.35:1 crop for the cinematic widescreen look, it gave me a chance to drop the sky out of the image that despite the recovery i did get i wasn't happy with. I think this one is a more intimate look and sort of places you in the stream
    bridge.

Both came from the same ACR development that was mainly -100% hightlights, upped contrast and a slight colour tweak plus some lifting of the shadows.

• Like Like x 3
  6. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Maritan-
    Welcome to the competition. A great first contribution. Hope to see more from you in the future as well.
    Cheers
    John

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    First quick attempt - levels/exposure adjustment in DXO, line cloned out, gradient added and orton effect added in elements:

challenge_v1.

• Like Like x 2
  8. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Both in DxO FilmPack 3 & Mac Preview

First is a wide-crop and a B&W Ilford treatment with plenty of grain & noise for a slightly oldy-worldy panaroma.

Second is a vertical crop (not quite centred on the bridge but its close) and a Fuji Provia filter and tweaked exposure & contrast.

Untitled.

Untitled2.

• Like Like x 3
  9. ManofKent

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Final attempt - adjustments and crop in DXO, gradients in PSE:

challenge_v2.

• Like Like x 1
  10. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    These are looking great. It will be hard to choose a winner tonight.

11. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Thanks everyone for your efforts!

TNcasual: The 16:9 crop gives the whole image a nice warmer feel, and until I studied these pictures to decide on a winner, I did not realize how the rocks conflicted with the reflections and your decision to de-emphasize that part works for me.

Conrad: I was impressed how you brought out reflection of the green trees in the shadows, and pulled some nice clouds from sky, lots of detail brought out

maritan: Nice crop as well, and like others great job removing power lines (BTW, if anyone can direct me to a good link to show me how to do that I would be grateful....) I also thought the warmer colors are in line with the summer heat

AussiePhil: Your oil painting version with floating rocks certainly is eye catching. Your second effort nicely accentuates the bridge and pulls viewer in closer.

ManofKent: 1st attempt-Like the element of "mystery" you have added (the bridge between the light and the dark side of the steam). Final attempt: The emphasis of the bridge colors really is eye catching.

phigmov: great to see B&W version, and am also happy to see someone try vertical crop

the final three contributions are close, but here is my attempt to rank them-

second runner up: Conrad
    first runner up: maritan

winner: TNcasual

• Like Like x 3
  12. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Wow, thanks! They were all good edits!

Regarding the power lines, I took the easy route and cropped them out at the top. In the water I just used the clone tool to remove them. Of course, that requires photoshop.

It may take me awhile to come up with a new challenge image.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ManofKent

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    A good set of entries - well done TN.

Power-line wise I found the spot-healing brush in PSE set to barely wider than the lines worked pretty well, with just the odd bit of cloning needed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Yeah, I used the healing brush in PSCS5. Works so much better than the clone tool in LR5.

No real technique involved apart from
    1. Using it for small sections at a time. That way, if you make a mistake, you cmd/ ctrl Z out just the last section of correction instead of the whoooooole thing.
    2. Zooming in and using a smaller brush to make sure correction artifacts aren't easily evident.

Congrats TNcasual!

• Like Like x 1