Post Processing Challenge No. 156

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by AussiePhil, Mar 6, 2015.

1. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Well another image straight out of the camera from a photo shoot tonight, Enlighten festival has been on and provides some stunning photo ops but the crowds are huge so I parked myself across the lake to take some longer range shots. More info about Enlighten here http://enlightencanberra.com.au/
    The sky was really that muddy red colour due to some thick smoke haze.
    The image was shot with the EM1 and 40-150+MC14 and to give some idea of scale, the lights at the bottom are 800M across the lake, the first building is 1400M and the flag is around 2300M away.

_EM69084sm.

JPG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28032744/_EM69084.JPG
    RAW: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28032744/_EM69084.ORF

Closes sometime on Monday night Aust time. (more likely Tuesday morning)

----------------------------------------------------

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

3. m4c

m4c Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    Czech Republic
    Ondrej
    Nice shot! full.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 3
  5. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Nice edits so far, where's everybody else?

I personally haven't edited any of my shots yet from that night, been working my way through culling the 1000+ balloon photos from this morning.

6. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  8. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    • Like Like x 6
  9. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Messing around with snapseed, enhanced detail and structure for the first one + 16:9 crop and a frame and added 'drama' to the second on top of the first picture.

_EM69084_Snapseed.
    _EM69084_Snapseed2.

• Like Like x 5
  10. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    • Like Like x 4
  11. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Wow, thanks everyone so far, this is going to be tough to judge.

Cheers

12. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
  13. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    • Like Like x 6
  14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    _EM69084-Edit-lores.
    Made a kind of sloppy mask so I could desaturate the red in the sky, but you get the idea. Increased blue saturation in the water, took out some asymmetric elements in the picture, knocked a few highlights down a bit so I could bring up the brightness of the lights a little without blowing out half the highlights. Increased overall red saturation a bit. Slight crop to get rid of some clutter at the left edge while leaving the arc of light centered.

If I was going to spend a lot more time, I think I would make a really good sky mask and in addition to desaturating the reds I would darken the sky a little, but not enough to lose the treeline. That would also zip up the relative brightness of the lights shining upwards. But I am too lazy to do this.

There is a guy here with a sig line something to the effect that he likes his photos to look something like the thing he took the picture of. That was my intention here.

Edit: Ack! I completely missed seeing that long skinny pole to the left of center. It shows up well on Conrad's version; that's how I noticed it. Had I seen it when I was working on the image I would have taken it out. It adds nothing.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Wow, never had that many sliders at 100%. And that to achieve an as close to `natural` look as possible. Says something about the DR of the camera, I guess.

_EM69084 copy.

• Like Like x 3
  16. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Hi All,
    No more entries from this point................ This is tough, i'll be back in a couple hours with a winner.

17. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    What a tough decision...

Comments in order of posting...

Brian Beezley: I like the crop, it's a panaramic scene and the wider crop suits it, you nailed the colour of the sky.
    m4c: I like the additional punch of the sky, sort of bushfire feel in line with the smoke haze.
    Scotsman: I blinked, looked twice and asked myself how you got one of the later photos, this is how it looked later on.
    bigboysdad: a black and white has to be good for me to like it and this one is, gives a different feel.
    manofkent: now that is puching the colours, I like how the searchlights stand out.
    protapic: now this is the effect I would love to capture out of camera, but the lake is never smooth enough.
    phigmov: I like the first one, it is really close to my memory of the look
    DaveEP: I have a passion for the purple/pink colour you got on the searchlights whilst keeping the sky colour.
    bigboysdad: second entry, nicely muted and balance look.
    tyrphoto: Interesting, nearly a wartime look, keen to understand how you did the "smoke".
    Zeus1: made me wonder if the bushfire was about to burst over the hill.
    oldracer: i like the subtle crop and edit but I had not notice the long thin pole till you mentioned it, I don't think it's actually there and need to look at some other images now. Nice job cloning out the two horizontal lines, they were from a ferry passing in the six second exposure.
    Conrad: It always gets me just how far you can push an Oly raw file, nice edit.

3rd: Conrad
    2nd: Brian Beezley

it was close but Now there can only be one winner....

1st: protapic ---- The reflection is what i would have liked to have got if possible, congrats and back to you.

• Like Like x 5
  18. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    What can I say, I certainly was not expecting to get this one. Thanks! The emptiness of the water begged for a reflection. I was inspired a bit from the other recent posts on the Orton effect (by Phocal I believe), and opened your jpeg into photoshop, copied the image into another layer, flipped and moved the new layer, and then added motion blur followed by ripple effect, reduced opacity, and then cropped. I was disappointed at my resulting reflection, I wish I know how to use PS to allow me to make wavier ripples more appropriate to the waves actually there. I am such a PS beginner.... OK, I will work on finding a suitable challenge picture for the next round.

• Like Like x 2
  19. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    One of my goals on Friday night was to get reflections from the lights on the water, and the lesson is to always take all the gear. I left the square filters at home otherwise I would have put on a hard ND grad to get more exposure on the water... oh well next year. I liked it without the ripple actually as it was a closer approximation of the traditional reflected lake scene.

At a reality level the reflection can not be realised in real life due to the flatish nature and the near approximately 600 - 1400 meters from lake edge to the various buildings, the tele compression hides the distance.
    Here's a high level view to give some perspective, the photo for the challenge was taken right at the lakes edge at the bottom of this shot, whick also shows me the long thin pole does exist :)
    14195244658_5ed3225abf_b. Old and New Parliament House by aussiephil1960, on Flickr