Post Processing Challenge No. 155

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by protapic, Mar 1, 2015.

1. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Here is a picture I took a few years on trip to New Zealand, and one I have often post-processed to make it better. I am eager to see what the experts can do for this one.

NZs.

JPG: http://www.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ps842fpopy072oc/NZ.jpg?dl=0
    RAW: http://www.dropboxusercontent.com/s/uwejjp5qfk47k8f/NZ.RW2?dl=0

Closes sometime Wednesday evening. (EST)

----------------------------------------------------

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    • Like Like x 7
  3. p601408545-5.
    This is the third time i'm posting this one...for some reason or other the prior posts don't "stick".

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    These look amazing so far. The color in previz's contribution is absolutely lovely, and Zeus1 has somehow pulled out from the shadows detail I had not seen before. Looking forward to other contributions!

5. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    @previz@previz - Would you care to elaborate on what you did? How did you get the sky to have the deeper blue? And that green to pop? Very curious to know what you did (and with what software).

• Like Like x 1
  6. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    All credit goes to Anthony Morganti and his Split Toning Tutorial in Lightroom 5. Thanks for asking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Thanks for that link!

8. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I tried something slightly different... It's a great image to work on there are so many different routes you can take. NZ_DxO_CHALLENGE.

• Like Like x 5
  9. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
  10. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    bigboysdad, that edit is absolutely beautiful! Well done!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Thanks! Your never quite sure with this image because as stated by others here, there's so much you can do with it. I can imagine what the op was going through, going half way round the world for this shot, then working out how best to process the image and demonstrate the beuty of the place.

btw, it's good to see a raw file available this time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    • Like Like x 4
  13. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    • Like Like x 6
  14. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    AussiePhil
    Now that's creative! I am seeing that scene in a "new light" so to speak.

15. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Everyone-Thank you for your efforts.
    All of these are delightful to see, I could easily use them all in a screensaver for my computer. I am eager to try to replicate these efforts to learn to improve my own skills.
    It's really hard decision, as I like all of them.

Previz-I just love the colors that you have brought out in this image
    Zeus1-Amazing job bringing added details out of the shadows
    Bigboysdad-You caught one reason I keep coming back to this image-the two figures I caught in the image by accident (I did not see them when I took the picture). They give a nice sense of scale to the scene.
    ManofKent-That's a gorgeous shade of blue and sets a neat tone and feel to the image.
    AussiePhil-You clearly put some thought into your two contributions, even cropping to put a slight incline to the sea.

For me, it is essentially a tie between Previz and AussiePhil. Thank you both for putting your contributions on Flickr-I had to examine them at larger size to decide.

But I am forced to pic one, so, the next competition goes to AussiePhil!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    And now, I want to know what @AussiePhil@AussiePhil did. How did you add the golden tone to the beach/ water? Could you detail what (and how) you did to edit the picture?

And congrats.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    lol

• Like Like x 2
  18. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Thanks Protapic, glad you liked the interpretation.

Bigboysdad: don't laugh to loud as it was truly a quick edit, I was watching the rugby league match thursday night, seen the thread and thought why not have a go, 5 minutes from half time, the half time break and back to the match 5 minutes into the second half, so time was about 20 minutes total :)

Maritan: here is a couple screen grabs from ACR, the big one shows the 3 grad filters applied, the one from the top sets the sky colour and exposure, the one in the middle is from the bottom and set to lighten the area and the one at the bottom darkens and sets the colour of the water and beach, the setting for this one is below.
    ppc155.JPG

Bottom grad filter settings, this is what sets the water colour by the change in colour temperature
    ppc155-1.JPG
    Here is the overall settings in ACR
    ppc155-2.JPG

now once the image was in PS, we flipped it, cropped to 16x9, did some tweaking of exposure but very little. The lens flare is straight out of the PS filter set, the trick was to position it correctly.
    Don't think there was much else.

All my edits are done on 24" IPS screens that have been fully colour calibrated and mostly i'm looking for an image that I would be happy to print and hang on a wall or use as a screen desktop.

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I think we can all appreciate the way Aussiephil explains the seemingly difficult PS tasks and processes in a straightforward, informative and helpful way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1