1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post Processing Challenge No. 152

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by TNcasual, Feb 16, 2015.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I've never been too happy with my attempt at processing this image. I was out playing at lunch one day when I came across this Fiat 500 in front of the nice older red brick building. I thought the color complemented each other nicely. I just had a hard time getting something that I really liked out of the image, though.

Let's see what you all can do with it.

16552316845_404016dbb9_b. Fiat unprocessed

Of course, I have only been shooting jpgs, so there is not RAW to work from.

Here is the link to the original size.

This will close sometime Thursday afternoon.

Good Luck!

----------------------------------------------------

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  4. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    Some slight cropping and color adjustment. Nice car.

2015-02-17 12.41.10 1.

2015-02-17 12.41.10 1.

• Like Like x 2
  5. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Reduced saturation on the buildings, increased saturation and sharpness on the car. Then made a copy with reduced exposure, and another with increased. Processed all three through Photomatix Pro and edited further. Slight crop on the right. Goal was to make the car pop and the colors overall to look richer.

16554953431_78b8d9a26d_b. car2a by vorlon44, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  6. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Challenge_152_1. Attempt 1:

Adjusted the perspective in DXO Viewpoint to bring the verticals up and cropped to a 5x4 to remove the more modern side of the building.

To give it a bit of a punch - In DXO OpticsPro I brought up the shadows a touch, increased the micro-contrast, added a little clarity/clearview, dropped the vibrancy but brought up the saturation.

Re-sized in Photoshop Elements, bring down the red and yellow saturation a little too add focus on the car.

(No idea why there are two copies showing)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. stephography

stephography Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    I love the Fiat 500! There have been a few Abarths going around here in California and they look pretty aggressive.

Fixed the framing a bit, for the angle of the car I believe the car should be closer to the bottom left hand corner of the picture. There wasn't enough ground area as I'd like, so I had to stretch that out a bit (I'd have shot it with a little more ground to emphasize your angle). I tried to stretch the buildings a bit to help with the framing but I think it came out botched. Ahh well, I tried! I also removed the cars and tree to the right to place more emphasis on the Fiat itself.

I also lowered the car a couple inches, lol. Fiats from the factory are way too high in my opinion, so I figured a nice drop would give the viewer a reason as to why the car was photographed (as opposed to a stock vehicle).

Other than that, just basic processing on Lightroom. Brought out the reds in the back and made the Fiat blue pop out a bit more. The color might not be true to life, but hey, it looks good to me :).

SnapO9h.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I like these so far. I will leave it open until tomorrow evening, at least.

Thanks.

9. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Yay, Ive finally had time to try one of these. Here is my attempt. I think it works pretty well. I did a split tone to get a vintage vibe that works with the car. Punched the contrast and sharpness a bit to add a little edge. Worked on the red/oranges a bit so that they wouldn't become too vibrant and circus like. Darkened the sky and a slight crop overall. I tried to keep everything within the limits and not too extreme so it will print well as well. Im posting the medium rez one here. Let me know if you want the full res one ;)

FonsecaFoto-PProcessing%23152-Med.

10. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Here's a couple from me, mainly it was a crop, super saturate the car and desaturate the building. Oh and a fix on the perspective on the building.
    I like the first one due to the perception of motion, nearly looks like a rally action shot
    PPC152v2.

Nearly left it at that but here's the genesis of the last one PPC152v1.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Okay, time for me to decide.

I will give honorable mention to Vorlon1 and Stephograhy. I really like the way you two punch up the car and put it front and center. That is what I was really looking for. Both of you really made the car sing.

But I have to give it to AussiePhil. The painterly feel of your first one really adds something to the image. It looks like something that could be used in a Fiat advertisement. Congrats!

PPC152v2.

You're up AussiePhil!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Would like to "like" this post, but with this new software...where is the button????

13. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Lower right hand side of the post. [emoji6]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Found it...but it only appears if You hover the pointer over the posted message.

15. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Thanks TNcasual.
    I have something different for 153 :)