Post processing challenge No. 151

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by stephography, Feb 12, 2015.

1. stephography

stephography Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    Good ol' 151! This photo was taken on a road trip I took through the United States last year with my fiancee. We visited over 34 states in a span of 21 days, a crash course of sorts in US history and tourism, haha. I chose this photo because there were a few issues I saw that could be corrected through post that would make the image stand out a bit more. Have fun!

The challenge closes February 15th sometime around 10PM PST.

YJO6lFx.

JPG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5d0ow0mutajl0v/SAP31754.jpg
    RAW: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yyu1xf3i7emnb0v/SAP31754.ORF

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

3. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    My quick n' dirty

#151.jpg.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    It's such a great shot! California Condor!

condor

I had to use the jpg.

Cropped, separated foreground and brought up the shadows, took down the highlights to give the rock and bird more definition, slightly recolored the background and sharpened it, added in it's mate (why not), then gave a slight vignetting.

Really the shot all alone is wonderful.

• Like Like x 4
  5. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    • Like Like x 2
  6. torsteinh

torsteinh Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Norway
    SAP31754-3.

Removed whatever the bird was having on its back (Looks like a harness of sorts - F3?), square view, added some contrast here and there, increased color of the sky and generally had a good time.

Torstein

• Like Like x 4
  7. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
  8. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 4
  9. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    16331008827_725cde43a8_b. m43-PPC151 photo by stephography by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

and here's the basic ACR settings ppc151 acr settings.PNG , there are three grad filters applied in ACR. one from the top for the sky one from the bottom to help tweak the valley and one from the bottom right to tweak the colour and exposure of the rock the bird is on.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Entry #1. Changed lighting of the vulture and the mountains to draw more attention on the bird.

p812401415-5.

Entry #2. Something completely different :smile:

p351889716-5.

• Like Like x 5
  11. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    A little color splash.

2015-02-13 05.59.48 1.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    LR, Layers, toning

SAP31754_-2_-3_tonemapped-Edit.

• Like Like x 4
  13. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    That's a tag so the bird can be recognized and counted for research purposes. The restoration of the California Condor is an amazing story. From as few as 22 individuals to over 400 (200 in the wild) today! It is amazing that they have survived at all.

(Edit) It looks like this individual, F3, is a 7 year old female born at the Los Angeles Zoo and released in the wild in 2009 and is breeding.

I am still amazed at Stephography's image. It's just wonderful!

• Like Like x 2
  14. stephography

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    Some great post work so far! Glad you guys are having fun with it :). I love the direction this is going and can't wait to announce the winner on Sunday. Let's see some more entries!

For some reason I can't see your attachment!

15. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    I corrected my post. Is it visible now?

• Like Like x 1
  16. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Some exposure adjustments & cropping in Aperture, and NIK tools

Bird.

• Like Like x 1
  17. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Thought the background was too flat and washed out, so worked on saturation and lighting selectively to give it more variety in lighting, but not too much. Moved bird a bit to the right and did various selective sharpening to attract the eye to the bird in (hopefully) a natural way.

16527665781_989bf77447_b. condor2 by vorlon44, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  18. stephography

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    Thanks for participating guys!

Winner at 1st place is TNcasual, I love the color rendition as it fits what I envisioned when I took the photo.

2nd place is Vorlon, again for the color editing.

Congrats guys!

• Like Like x 3
  19. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Wow! Thanks. Also thanks for sharing the image.

I'll try to put the next one up later this afternoon.

• Like Like x 1
  20. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Thank you.