Post processing challenge No. 150

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by AussiePhil, Feb 7, 2015.

1. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Post processing challenge No. 150
    The was some amateur rowing races going on today so I went down and grabbed a few shots, this one grabbed me as have some post processing challenges.

The challenge closes Tuesday 10th around 11PM Australian time, eastern daylight.

_EM78579x1024.

JPG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28032744/_EM78579.JPG
    RAW: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28032744/_EM78579.ORF
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread

2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

3. Two different B/W renderings...

p451578638-5.

p509550703-5.

• Like Like x 3
  4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    A hot day, even more so when rowing in the afternoon sun, so I've tried to relay that sweltering heat and intensity. I'd like to show you this, only there appears to be more site updates going on, I can't upload from my gallery! Might have to put the deadline back to cater for this Aussiephil.

5. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    • Like Like x 4
  6. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    • Like Like x 2
  7. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    Different POI
    16284271430_90c533bd85_c.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    Hopefully it's ok, but here's the reason I'm submitting some processed images that might look more like paintings than photographs.

I very briefly took up painting many years ago, but didn't stick with it. I'm thinking about starting up again, as I now have renewed interest and much more free time. I've found that using a painting app, in conjunction with a photography app, to process photos....is a quick and fun way to get some ideas on what type(s) of painting I might want to pursue.

With that said, here is my second image for this challenge:

image.

• Like Like x 2
  9. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 3
  10. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Various selective edits for sharpness, saturation, some graduated filter on the sky. Not cropped as close as some, wanted to keep overall scene and give main boats room to show movement toward right edge of frame.

16474176812_fc61844210_b.
    lake by vorlon44, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  11. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Certainly some interesting entries so far.

BBD, weird the forum attachments are not working for you, the links did work though

Cheers

12. stephography

stephography Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    Decided to give this one a shot.

Did some basic level control, sharpening and noise reduction. I cloned part of the water towards the bottom to get rid of the walkway to preserve the distance and keep the framing (for the most part) and added some clouds for effect :D. I increased the vibrance because I wanted the picture to pop a bit more. Oh yeah, I fixed some of the shadows so we could see more of the rower's faces.

Hh1puNR.

Link to original image: http://i.imgur.com/Hh1puNR.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  13. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Congrats to everyone

1st to stephography, I really liked the edit with the clouds, I am somewhat curious if your physic as those clouds match what we have seen many times this summer here in Canberra.

2nd to Brian B, there is just something about the look that matches the rowers exhaustion.

over to stephography for the next challenge

• Like Like x 2
  14. stephography

stephography Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    Thank you AussiePhil! I wish I were a psychic, but sadly I just lucked out with the clouds. I'd love to visit Canberra someday and it's on my bucket list of places to visit!

I'll be posting the challenge later today :).