Post processing challenge No. 148

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Zeus1, Jan 28, 2015.

1. For the next challenge, I will give You an underexposed picture, taken during a recent city trip to Budapest, Hungary.

On the right side, You should see part of the splendid Parliament building on the Pest side, while on the left side You should see in the background the Mathias Church and the Fishermen's bastion, both on the other side of the Danube, in Buda.

However, I exposed for the sky, therefore the picture is completely underexposed.

See what You can do with it. Have fun!

RAW version:

jpg version:

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    • Like Like x 4
  3. previz

previz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    • Like Like x 8
  4. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Cropping, straightening, dodging/burning, adjusting WB all in ACR. Smart sharpen in PS.

• Like Like x 12
  5. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  6. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    • Like Like x 4
  7. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    just a subtle difference in Crop factor for my two

run once through ACR to get the sky, open in PS6
    run through ACR again to expose the buildings, multiple grad filters for grass and main building to balance exposure to the sky and township and open in PS6
    Layer mask the sky on first image then add second as a layer
    more tweaks on exposure and a little bit of colour work
    slight straighten but not all the way

This was a pain as exposing the main building correctly made the township wrong, still not happy with it though.

[​IMG]PC170852-8x10 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

[​IMG]PC170852 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 3
  8. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    • Like Like x 1
  9. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Several good entries so far, thanks!
    Will close this competition Sunday morning, so You have another 24 hrs.
  11. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Just for fun....since I'm unable to edit raw files, at present.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Thought I'd play, but I don't want to set up yet one more online account with Dropbox.

Some very nice treatments here, though.
  13. Time to end this one:

For me, the best rendering (i.e. the piture which I tried to obtain) is the entry by Conrad. Well done!
    First runner up: Scottsman: really beautiful pen drawing
    Second runner up: Previz for the color in the skye

Thank You all for participating.

Over to You, Conrad, to host the next challenge.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks Zeus. I'll be posting a new challenge soon.