Post Processing Challenge - #654 - WINNER ANNOUNCED

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
May I present: a boat picture with issues.

RAW: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xypgwgk6w94sje/P6030845.ORF?dl=0

JPEG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0hxvx4zap28hh9/P6030845.jpg?dl=0

Challenge closes at 10.00 GMT on 15th April

P6030845-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Post-Processing Challenge Rules
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
Notes:
  • Images provided by Challenge Masters must be their own. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • Compositing is allowed, provided the use of the donor image does not violate any licensing or copyright restrictions.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

Real Name
Mike
Nice shot!

Some general range compression (mostly shadows up), contrast/color tweaks, crop to about 16/9, highlighted the boat, reduced contrast on the water, reduced saturation of the car taillight (red) nearest the boat, bumped up saturation overall, warmed a little bit. All in DT3.4, nothing much fancy.

P6030845_edited.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Entry 1

PPC654A.jpg

My usual trip through DxO PL4 and Gimp/Nik. I made a minor crop. Did some extensive color, exposure and local contrast work. Cloned out the cars, a lot of "grit" on the narrowboat, and "fluff" in the water. Purposely left in the pile of lawn chairs, the crocodile and the sat dishes.

Last edited:

todd phillips

Mu-43 Top Veteran
20210412231449-145f6fe0.jpg

My usual workflow... RT→Gimp/NikCFX

atomicmak

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mital Patel
Its been while I have Enterd in challange here but Richard your image just hit me upon and I am attaching my interpretation of the edit.
Just gave it a wall hanger look of being one of the old 70's feel the ship docked at the bay and the sweet hazy diretional light speeling into the side of the ship and the trees illuminating and giving it the painting look.

P6030845_mital.jpg

gave myself a redo on first attempt.
P6030845b.jpg

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Heh! Whatever this is:

lizard.jpg

Looked like a big lizard head to me. More dinosaur than croc, I guess. Anyway, I left it in.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #1:
P6030845_DxO_Web.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #2 (Guess what? A B&W!)
P6030845_DxO_Web_1.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Oh! That's a giant monitor lizard. There has been a colony of them on the River Avon since a couple got out of a hardcore petting zoo in the 70s.
It’s the perfect boating pet/accessory . . .

Too many trout thumping your hull in the wee hours of the night? Inundated by a plague of giant toads? Annoying boating neighbors tied up too close and blasting “Ob-la-di Ob-la-da” after 11PM? Your new free pet can solve these and many other problems. . .

I think you’re putting one over on me. Next you’ll be telling me those aren’t satellite dishes, but new miniature microwave cannon installations to keep the seagull population under control.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
It’s the perfect boating pet/accessory . . .

Too many trout thumping your hull in the wee hours of the night? Inundated by a plague of giant toads? Annoying boating neighbors tied up too close and blasting “Ob-la-di Ob-la-da” after 11PM? Your new free pet can solve these and many other problems. . .

I think you’re putting one over on me. Next you’ll be telling me those aren’t satellite dishes, but new miniature microwave cannon installations to keep the seagull population under control.

Would I lie?

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
So I did a little more research, and can see that I was totally fooled by the perspective this entire image presents.
  • It seems like the river is fairly wide and wooded here -- very rural.
  • And it seems like the automobiles are parked very close to the river.
  • And it seems like the Lizzie B is just in front of the Traditional Cycle Shop.
And none of that is true. Here is a layout from G**gle maps:
GoogMap.jpg

• You can see the Hukelayle center-south. And it is way too fat to be a narrowboat.
  • You can see the car park is a good distance away.
  • You can see that the Lizzie B must have been tied up at that small dock, well separated from the Cycle Shop.
  • You can see the huge freaking bridge that was hiding just out-of-scene to the left.
  • And if you zoom out, you'll find this is just on the edge of central Stratford Upon Avon -- not very rural at all.
And in Street View, you see this:
Streetview.jpg

Same plastic pet in a slightly different pose.

@RichardC , well played, Sir.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom