Post Processing Challenge #619 - Now Closed - Winners Announced!

betamax

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan
This challenge will run for about 56 hours so that I can announce the result Sunday night.

I reached into the vault. This was taken last year at a railway bridge. Probably should have done HDR, but I went for single shot as I didn't have the tripod.
P8270061.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

files can be found here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av3t3-eGT_5xnEf9IJdrBsGy_7IY?e=Fg3HHV

Challenge will close 9pm Sunday Sydney time, or 10am GMT Sunday.

----------

Post-Processing Challenge Rules

The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  1. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  2. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  3. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  4. The Winner of the challenge is honoured as the Master of the next Challenge

Notes:
  • Images provided by Challenge Masters must be their own. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • Compositing is allowed provided the use of the donor image does not violate any licensing or copyright restrictions.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honour passes to the next Runner-up.
Have fun!

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Wonderfully moody photo! Accomplished in Adobe Camera Raw. Thanks for the perfect chance to have some play time with the color grading panel.

P8270061a.jpg

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Mono, Photoshop

P8270061bw.jpg

Last edited:

relic

Hobbyist
Used raw file. Edited in DxO PL2 then in Elements. I thought this would look good in B&W so converted it using Nik Silver Efex.

P8270061_DxOdBWLL.jpg

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Processed in DT3.3
P8270061.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Entry #1:
P8270061_DxO_Web.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
I have wanted to get a very sinister feeling in these entries. What is lying beyond this walkway? Why the barbed wire and mesh fences on the side? ...
Entry #2:
P8270061_DxO_Web_1.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Entry 1

PPC619_01.jpg

relic

Hobbyist
Entry #2: tried to add fog to entry #1 using Nik Color Efex (not very successfully though: I didn't know how to make the fog grow denser with distance) .

P8270061_DxOdBWLLfog2.jpg

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
A suggestion is to try several progressively smaller control points, but I don't even know how to add fog, so that might not work.

If you have access to Photoshop, simply make a new layer, paste in an image of fog/clouds/smoke/steam etc, set the blend mode to screen and lower the layer opacity to get a density that looks right.

relic

Hobbyist
A suggestion is to try several progressively smaller control points, but I don't even know how to add fog, so that might not work.
If you have access to Photoshop, simply make a new layer, paste in an image of fog/clouds/smoke/steam etc, set the blend mode to screen and lower the layer opacity to get a density that looks right.
Many thanks for your very kind suggestions. I'll play around with the control points (using Nik in Elements as I also have no idea how to add fog in PL). I'll also see what I can do in Elements (I don't have the full Photoshop), but I think for this purpose it would be the same as Photoshop. Always learning (and also forgetting what I learned :) ).

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
This is not an entry, but an example approach to layered fog.

PPC619_01 fog layers.jpg

result:

PPC619_01 fog.jpg

Last edited:

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Processed in DxO PL2
P8270061_DxO_edited.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Entry#2
P8270061_DxO.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom