Post Processing Challenge #619 - Now Closed - Winners Announced!

Adobe camera raw, I selected the camera matching "portrait" ,as shot, for the color space and used the eyedrop tool on a white area for final color balance.
A slight crop and then Topaz Denoise plus some smart sharpen in Photoshop.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
a black and white rendition: Nik Silver Efex from LR.

P8270061-Edit-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Even better :)

What are your blend modes Lyle?
I am using Gimp, but I think PS would be the same. The top layer was “normal” at 25% opacity. The second layer was also normal, and opacity provided by the mask. I tried other blend modes, but preferred normal. Those fog layers were just blurred, desaturated, and raised black-level versions of the base layer.

I didn’t spend much time with it, as it was just a conceptual example that @relic (or others) could play with and refine further.

I started with the last version and went to Nik Silver efex. toned for a night effect, and adjusted further in photoshop.

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
This is not an entry, but an example approach to layered fog.

View attachment 863623

result:

View attachment 863622
Thank you so much, Lyle, for taking the time and trouble to explain in such detail. Yes, that is exactly what I was aiming to do. Now I will try my hand at this as practice, and it will very likely come in handy in other situations as well. Thanks again.

todd phillips

Mu-43 Top Veteran

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
Challenge is now closed!

thank you for your entries everyone. A very high standard as always so I've been watching, appraising and judging since yesterday! This was Ryde railway bridge in Sydney. I'm not sure about the barbed wire on the gate. I can only assume it's there for when they close it for maintenance. It's got a very 1950's feel, and the whole area has been undergoing heavy transformation since the 2000 Olympics with very old and ugly industrial grounds making way for shopping centres and apartments.

I liked all the entries! Each had their own feel. From the faded colours, to the halo's around the lights, to the grainy black and whites. But I can only choose 3, so:

3rd goes to @Zeus1 's entry with the bluish night sky. I liked the play between the sky colour and the wall.

2nd, playing on last centuries architecture is @mcgillro's grainy black and white take #2. Definitely a 70's feel to that one. Makes it look as if I'm looking at an old newspaper clipping.

#1 goes to @Hendrik's polished and graded version #1. Very clean. Nice. Also had the most accurate light levels.

I enjoyed the discussion on fog. Very interesting, your skills amaze me Bo, Richard and Lyle.

Over to you @Hendrik!

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Ooops . . . errr, Why thank you, @betamax. Your photo has real bones that made it easy to come up with ideas - a great deal of fun to work on!

I'll have a look around the catalog for something for everybody to play with – but only after Sunday breakfast. First things first!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom