1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Post Processing Challenge #59 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by jomerads, Nov 5, 2013.

1. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    Hi, guys. It's an honor to host #59. Before you is an image of my 86 year old father taken this summer. I have my own renditions of this image. I am curious to see yours.
    This contest will officially start at 3 PM (Eastern Standard Time NYC) or 8 PM (Greenwich Mean Time/Coordinated Universal Time) November 5 Tuesday and will end at around 3 PM (EST) or 8 pm (GMT/UTC) November 8 Friday.

Good Luck to Everyone! :2thumbs:

10692064746_632663de95_b.
    _8210737 by jomerads, on Flickr

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3qv3sr3uqn2j386/_8210737.JPG (JPEG)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6jd7wncenzntp4j/_8210737.ORF (Raw)

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Thanks,

John S.

Attached Files:

2. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Nice image John.
    10694289905_8c807f995a_b.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Here is mine. For me it works better in square format.

8210737_-2.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  4. And now for something quite different...I'm in a playful mood :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I was planning on doing a black and white with this but I quite like my color version.

pp59_1_of_1_.

• Like Like x 3
  6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok here is the black and white version of the above.

pp591_1_of_1_1.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  7. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    [​IMG]"640" height="485" alt="_8210737-4"></a>[/IMG]

In Toning selenium
    [​IMG]"640" height="485" alt="_8210737"></a>[/IMG]

Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  8. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    My version:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice image.

Ended up messing around with another online editor - Fotor - kept the processing pretty basic -

First is a 16x9 crop, some enhancements to sharpness, colour temp, contrast + a filter to warm things up a little.

Second is a postcard style crop with a vintage filter.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Straightened and cropped. Used Topaz Adjust to enhance slightly. Used Topaz Black And White to PP.

Man on a Pier by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  11. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    I was wondering where you were phigmov. :smile: Thanks for placing an entry in. Now, if we can somehow coax Margaret in.:wink: Great job so far everyone!

I will be working pretty late today, so I will be extending the contest (same reason that I could not start the contest right away). I will announce the winners tomorrow (a tough task). Feel free to submit entries in the mean time. I will close the contest at 1159 PM tonight EST Nov 8 Fri or 459 AM GMT Nov 9 Sat.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    not for the challenge.... just for fun, mine

• Like Like x 2
  13. killjed1987

killjed1987 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Bay City Laguna
    Jed
    My first time joining a post processing challenge or any challenge in that matter.
    Trying out just for the sake of it. (and free time on my hand) :biggrin:

BTW, nice pic to PP jomerad.

Here's mine:
    Brought out the blues in the shot and framed to 1:1 slightly biased to the right while retaining the reflections at the bottom and most of the blue skies to the upper right corner of the image. Hope i did justice. :wink:

10742750746_f7fbe9f704_z.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Oh, it's a lovely shot John. I've just had a crazy few weeks with too much on my plate! :frown: I was bummed I missed out on the last challenge, too. I'm hoping to squeeze in an entry later today, but not sure if I'll manage it. Fingers crossed I can find an hour to work on an entry before the deadline tonight. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  15. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    OK, here's a quick-and-dirty attempt. If only I had more time.... :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  16. szanda

szanda Mu-43 Regular

Lots of curves adjustments, vignette.

7IinC7C.

edit: too late, sorry :-(

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    Winners

Pardon me all. I would have to nit-pick to be able to pick a winner. Your images are all that good so I have to do that. Please do not get offended. All of this is subjective. I have shown the images to my nurses at work and to my family at home and each have their own favorites.

Okay to the challenge:

1. John M. This rendition and the tonalities, since it was the first image submitted has grown on me. Your background sky and sea gradations are unequaled. The subject for me just needs a little more definition.

2. slorenzi. Your contrasts in B&W was one of the best. Your definition of the subject was great. Your square crop did not work for me. The weak part of my image is the sky. A 16:9 crop would have been better with liberal cropping of the sky. This would highlight the ocean and the subject.

3. zeus1. My daughter and I had a good laugh: Spongebob comes to mind. Thanks for giving brevity to the thread. I would have liked to see your non-playful rendition. I have seen you do magnificent work; including renditions in challenges that should have won but did not.

4. robbie. You achieved a great painterly effect in the colored version. (You did something to the left shoulder that made the subject more macho.) What happens though when you employ this painterly technique is that the subject suffers a little from loss of definition. I guess that in a painting you do not need a lot of subject definition (or do you?). It did not convert as well in black and white for me.

5. franklim. Your skin tones in the colored version was the best. Your facial definition was the best. The sharpening was a little much though. The subject really popped out in the selenium version but the toning of the sky did not match the toning of the sea and subject skin for me.

6. nstelemark. Your treatment of the ocean is very natural. The colors blend and work. The subject needed more facial definition.

7. phigmov. On both your versions: your sea and sky colors were great. Your subject definition was great. I would have given more skin color or tone. On your vertical version, my weak sky got highlighted which does not work for me. The 16:9 crop you did on your horizontal version was the best crop of the whole group in my opinion.

8. dbuckle. Great B&W version. Great subject definition especially of the face. A bit closed crop where it just shows the essentials. Also just very slightly over sharp.

9. hodad66. Your treatment of the foreground waters was the best giving the water a near metallic look. The subject had good definition. The sunburnt look was not for me but since you are on the pier near an ocean: a matter of interpretation. Purple sky did not match the ocean color in my opinion. Haloes present. Horizon needs slight leveling (this is my fault not yours).

10. killjed. The sky is good. The foreground reflection is great. The subject definition is fine. The blue overpowers everything else though.

11. Margaret. Your subject isolation is great. The subject definition is great. Dramatic which I like. The amount of vignetting causes the ocean and foreground waters to lose detail.

12. szanda. Very clean. Subject definition and colors are great. Algae on pier the right hue of green to not be a distraction for example. A rendition that I did not do. The color scheme works. A little risky because the greenish hue of the sky makes it unnatural although one can argue it to be surreal. I like the treatment of the foreground pool as well. Outstanding overall.

So who won:
    Honorable mention: robbie. (my nurses’ favorite). Great painterly effect.
    2nd runner up: phigmov 16:9 crop horizontal version. Colors are natural. Subject definition is fine. The subject just needs more color/tone.
    1st runner up: slorenzi. (my family’s favorite) Best black and white overall with great contrast and subject definition. I think you should crop 16:9.
    Grand winner: szanda. A rendition that has all the right amount of the individual elements. Slight greenish hue of sky can be chalked up to interpretation causing a surreal look.

Thanks and congratulations to the winners,

John S.

• Like Like x 8
  18. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Excellent hosting job John.
    The personalized write up is truly outstanding.

Congratulations to the winners!

• Like Like x 2
  19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I agree, really like your individual comments, John. Thanks for hosting and congratulations to the winners!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  20. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Thanks to the OP for the nice photo for us to work with. Congrats to Szanda

• Like Like x 3