Post-Processing Challenge #527 -- CLOSED

GregRed

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Greg
Ceremonial dancer getting ready to compete for the judges at last summer's Tsuut'ina Pow Wow and Rodeo near Bragg Creek, Alberta (not too far from Calgary). ISO 3200, so a bit noisy and also slightly underexposed. Have fun...

P_G94476.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This challenge will close sometime on Thursday evening, Feb. 20, MST (GMT -7)

RAW and JPG:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1kfho05566o4j1t/AAANu3c1uYGVW9JApB7J5ujHa?dl=0

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules

The Challenge Master provides an image to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.

Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.

Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge. Please mark entries clearly by number.

At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.

The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.

Please Note: Entrants are encouraged to enter their best efforts even if this means replacing versions. Please do this by exchanging your latest effort with the image you wish to remove. You may note the replacement in a comment in the edited posting.

Notes:
The image used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own image. The image is posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
"Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

Last edited:

relic

Hobbyist
Beautiful. My attempt: edited raw file in DxO PL2, then in Elements, where I tried to "repair" the lower part of the "dress" by cutting and pasting (which turned out to be rather clumsily done).

P_G94476_DxO-1dLL2.jpg

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Raw file in DxO, I decided to crop because my repair efforts didn't pan out.
Entry #1:
P_G94476_DxO_Web.jpg

relic

Hobbyist
Entry #2: Darkened and blurred background a bit to try to make the dancer stand out a bit more.

P_G94476_DxO-1dLL3.jpg

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
As you probably know by now I always try to do a B&W conversion, this time also. All done in DxO, this time trying for vintage look, how would this picture have looked taken a hundred years ago?
So a border seemed one thing to add as all vintage photos I have seen have had one. I also blurred and vignetted the background, plus some repairs to get rid of too bright areas and other disturbing elements.
P_G94476_DxO_Web_2.jpg

Crazy150

Mu-43 Regular
Recovering underexposed high-iso always a challenge. With the noise, a lot of detail is lost, so this seems like a good candidate for the retro treatment. Also, the "modern" faces in the background gave it a weird juxtaposition so had to break out the F1.2 ;)

editchallenge527v2.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
adjustments in DxO PL2 and increased Bokeh
P_G94476_DxO_edited.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Used Siver Efex Pro
P_G94476_Nik_DxO.jpg

Rob Rider

Mu-43 Veteran
This is my second attempt after I noticed a problem.
I got rid of the noise using Topaz Denoise, the AI clear mode. I used some content aware cloning on the bottom of the image so I could see the entire braid. I thought the background to be distracting so I used a different one. Very impressive looking outfit !

mtn_6260130.jpg

Last edited:

Rob Rider

Mu-43 Veteran
I saw BosseBe's B+W and thought I would give it a try myself though Bosse Be deserves some credit for this entry.
I used a preset in Nik Silver efex pro 2 .... #034 yellowed.
mtn_bw6260130.jpg

Last edited:

Fred S

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Fred S
Processed raw in Affinity photo
Lots of tweeking

P_G94476 re03.jpg

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Not as creative a some others here.
Processing in DT3.0
Increased the exposure, used filmic to set overall contrast, cropped the image, increased saturation and contrast. Tried to darken the background it's not interesting anyway.
Spend some time on denoising the image. I feel this time I got it done well

P_G94476_03.jpg

GregRed

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Greg
A difficult photo... besides noise and underexposure, there was also the blurry baseball cap in the foreground, and a busy and unappealing background. I appreciate everyone's efforts in tackling these issues.

2nd runner up: @Crazy150 for the bleached retro look.
1st runner up: @Dinobe for a clean, cropped rendering that works well.
Winner: @BosseBe for the vintage monochrome rendering that uses exposure, blur, and vignetting to tame the background and highlight the dancer... beautiful!

Over to you, Bo!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
A difficult photo... besides noise and underexposure, there was also the blurry baseball cap in the foreground, and a busy and unappealing background. I appreciate everyone's efforts in tackling these issues.

2nd runner up: @Crazy150 for the bleached retro look.
1st runner up: @Dinobe for a clean, cropped rendering that works well.
Winner: @BosseBe for the vintage monochrome rendering that uses exposure, blur, and vignetting to tame the background and highlight the dancer... beautiful!

Over to you, Bo!
Wow! Thank you @GregRed for the win!
I really didn't expect to win this specially with a B&W!
I don't know if this is the first B&W conversion to win this contest but it is rare.

I realize that I might have to disappoint you all with the quality of the picture for the next contest, but I will do my best to find something interesting and with potential.
Since I know how hard it will be for me to find a picture for this, don't expect it until tomorrow evening.

Latest threads

Top Bottom