Post-Processing Challenge #526 - Winners Announced

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Lately, my wife and I have been spending a bit of time visiting our newest (third) grandkid in Washington D.C. This is a far more urban environment than we are used to. Aside from the superb museums that line the National Mall, there is a lot of art to be found elsewhere. We pass this example every time we go to shop for groceries. I’m a little distressed that what must have been pretty whimsical stuff has been tagged over, but, so it goes.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

On display here is the center panel of three. There’s more than plenty in this one alone but you could construct a panorama using all three. Or whatever. After making that decision, it’s up to you to astonish us all. A one and a two and a three… take it away, Maestri.

The ORF files may be found here

The JPG files may be found here

This challenge will close on Monday, Feb. 17 at 10am, EST (GMT -5)

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules

The Challenge Master provides an image to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.

Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.

Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge. Please mark entries clearly by number.

At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.

The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.

Please Note: Entrants are encouraged to enter their best efforts even if this means replacing versions. Please do this by exchanging your latest effort with the image you wish to remove. You may note the replacement in a comment in the edited posting.

Notes:
The image used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own image. The image is posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
"Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

Attempt 1: Wanted to do 3 image pano but the third one was way too distorted for me to straighten it. Also found a little difficult to work with the ground and roof so they just got the axe.

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
First edited raw files in DxO PL2, then merged them in Elements, and edited combined file (tried to adjust barrel distortion in Elements and horizontal keystoning in DxO Viewpoint 3). Tried to clean up some stuff using Content Aware Fill in Elements. Edit: Discovered that DxO Viewpoint defaults to "preserving aspect ratio", so it cropped the right end of the image. I re-edited it using "unconstrained" aspect ratio.

Untitled_Panorama1Ac3LL.jpg

Last edited:

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Edited the Raw files in DxO (Smart lighting, Clearview, Microcontrast, export as Tiff) but added a control point for local adjustment to the right hand picture trying to lessen the impact of the sunshine.
Then I used Hugin to create the panorama (Creating a Tiff). This Tiff I cropped in DxO and added some negative Gamma.

todd phillips

Mu-43 Veteran

Real Name
Lyle

Trying to respect the underlying art.

Edit: For those who are wondering if my comment above is sincere or tongue-in-cheek, I can assure you it is both.

On the one hand, the idea that a tagger (with more free time and paint than good sense) feels empowered to *poop* his collection of glyphs (which may or may not represent actual letters, words or ideas) all over another artist’s efforts is repugnant to me. I’m pretty sure it was the tagger’s intent to provoke this feeling within me, so I guess it was successful.

On the other hand, I’m not sure how to feel about the original scene. A pachyderm, an upturned bicycle (and in my mind, there is an over-turned clown riding it) and a ringmaster/trainer cracking his whip ... they are all left drowning in a sea of tagger-spammed *poop*. And above it all floats the perfect dialog balloon, in a juxtaposition of social/artistic commentary and unintended self-snark. So does the graffiti ruin the original, or empower and elevate it? I’m not sure.

P.S. Also, I very much liked the *pipe* above the *poop*. Somehow they became intertwined in my mind, both figuratively and alliteratively.

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
As usual I will try a B&W version, this time a selective colour one, (Processed in DxO and the sent to Silver Efex for B&W and Selective colour.)
Entry #2:

I had an idea to make some more graffiti. 🤪🤨 It showed me how little I know about parts of photoshop.

#2 the neon edge filter

GregRed

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Greg
The "creative" features of Topaz Studio 2 seemed the way to go with this one. After an hour or so of goofing around and tweaking some details, I came up with these two:

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
First, I have to acknowledge that the task I set may have seemed entirely unfair. Kind'a stupid, even. Divining the “correct” exposure parameters for a flat wall decorated in spray can colors is just about a fool’s errand. Nuances of color balance easily get lost in the general chaos.

Where to go from there? After the first few submissions established the look of the wall, more subversive ideas came out to play. Yay!

Sleepy Capybara
A two-panel pano. Some intensification of the colors.

relic
A full-width pano, from Clomp to Wise. Some details have been suppressed. I’m most sorry to lose the traffic cone.

rpatodia
The right side of the scene with most of the environmental detail removed., nicely intensified color. Again, I miss the traffic cone.

BosseBe #1
Nearly full width pano retaining a lot of the context. Some discreet cropping on the left.

todd phillips
Full width but with the color temperature shifted toward blue.

WhidbeyLVR
A substantial crop in to one of my favorite details in the scene - rendered nice and bright. 1/6 sec. exposure - go Pen-F IBIS!

BosseBe #2
The two left frames in mono, traffic cone left in color. I’m on record as not preferring selective color but this seems entirely logical to me.

Rob Rider #1
Gilding the lily, great idea, especially utilizing the logos from the camera!

Rob Rider #2
The neon edge filter sends the scene back to the era of the underlying art. Psychedelic, man.

GregRed #1
Selective blur. Rad!

GregRed #2
What would be the Find Edges filter in Photoshop.

So, that’s what I see when I look at the collection of entries. There are no notes to give because, for me, the scene is so surreal that there is no objective reality I feel obligated to judge against. All entries are winners. But we need a new challenge so…

Second Runner-Up: @Rob Rider #2 Ohh Wo-ow!
Runner-Up: @WhidbeyLVR I appreciate the extreme crop as well as retention of context.

Winner: @GregRed #2 The extreme simplification works for me.

Thanks to everyone for playing along.

And, this just in:
Honorable Mention: RichardC - repurposing the tagging to a texture really works, which agrees with my feeling that the major thing wrong, visually, with the style is that it’s just too dense. The expressed sentiment has much to recommend it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom