Post Processing Challenge #522 - CLOSED - Winners Announced!

ata3001

Mu-43 Regular
This is my first go at it using LR & PS
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry

with RawTherapee

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
For me, the story is that it's high and it's remote. The crop does that for me.

Initial exposure tweaks in Adobe Camera Raw, trying to stay conservative and understated. Some brushwork to very modestly promote a few locales, perhaps too subliminal but the hope is that the eye will be drawn to the difference but not notice the deception.
Opened in Photoshop as a Smart Object, new smart object via copy, which I lightened a smidge.
Blended the two Smart Objects with a mask, thus bringing up the background slightly.
Darkened the near foreground.

The Incas sure loved their red carpets. 😛

PC040373_edit_shrunk.jpg

Edited from the JPEG in the GIMP.

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh

GregRed

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Greg

This time with Affinity Photo:

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Processing in DT3.0
New approach inspired by Boris Hajdukovic: Multiple instances of the Colour Balance module to darken the sky, brighten the buildings, set the white balance etc, etc,
Added local contrast, sharpening, filmic to set overall exposure

I'm not sure about the cropping, to much foreground grass imho, but cropping that out would also effect the buildings on the slope on the right side, so I decided to leave the foreground in.

Overall, not too much of a specific 'look', just general adjustments which I mostly do.

PC040373.jpg

I started with Topaz Adjust AI which gives you many preset looks to choose from.
This was out of a section called HDR looks. I picked this one for the look of the sky.
I then worked on it further in Photoshop.
PC040373-adjust-studio.jpg

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
thank you everyone for your entries! I always appreciate how differently people process the same photo. Change the emphasis here. Change the crop there, process it multiple times etc. I do think the clouds and flat light makes it difficult to PP.

Anyway, in the end it comes down to personal preference, and it was a tough call between the top 10, in particular entries from Roel (2nd "official" one), David, Rob and ata3001. And Frank's red carpets! But without further ado....

Number 3 goes to @Hendrik. I liked the general look of the image generally. The slighty tighter crop. Those subliminal adjustments worked!

Number 2 goes to @roelwillems. Your second official entry. I like the detail. Very crisp but yet contained, and the muted colours work really well.

... and number 1, for a nicely balanced, and again crisp and detailed but not overdone image, the baton goes to @Dinobe!

thank you to everyone that participated, and Congratulations to Dinobe and the other winners!

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Woow! Thanks a lot. Amazing location, I'd love to visit it one day.
Every PPC I see a lot of amazing entries and the competition is strong and fun.
I'll admit that I'm using these PPC's as a way of learning PP in general, and in my case learning DT. Lot's of opportunities and subjects that I would normally not encounter.
I'll try to post an image this evening (CET)

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
And I'm too lazy to try to learn Elements, even if I know that using layers could benefit my PP, someday when I feel I have the time I will try to find an online course to learn about layers. 😎
BTW, in DxO you can always turn a specific control On and Off, no history needed.
Thank you again. I think your expertise in using DxO allows you to do much more than I know how to do, hence my need for Elements.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom