Post Processing Challenge #511

Seemed like a great image apart from the rail in foreground, which happens sometimes. I tried a couple of different crops, and also ran it through SND HDR.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Midnight. PPC-511 is now closed. I'll post the winners sometime tomorrow evening.
Thanks to everyone for the beautiful contributions and the good variety in dealing with the photo. :2thumbs:

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Your entries show - as usual - with how much dedication, fun and creativity everyone works on the original posts. And I agree with all judges of the latest PPCs that there's much scrolling up and down involved and decision-taking is no easy task.

As I mentioned in my introductory remarks there were several things I didn't like with my photo:
- slight tilt of the border at the end of the lake (I have now the level gauge display on continuously).
- the flowers on the right take too much room and the house with the car distract from the main scenery
- I wanted the bridge with the railings at 2:1 on the bottom (I had also taken photos without)
but: the gravel lacks details (overexposed)
- the colour of the wooden railings is the withered greyish light brown, the rust dirty and cold in tone,
both as to the blues of the paint and the reds of the rust. When correcting colours (sky / trees) these tend
to become too warm. This was the toughest problem for me.
When I'm posting in PPC I'm always torn between staying as close as possible or going somewhere completely different. You can only tell after the contest what was better when you see all the entries. Each way to follow has its special charms.

So here's my decision:
2nd runner up: @RichardC for the beautiful grip into the cardboard-box with the prints of ancient times in faded colours. You managed to keep the rusty rail almost in "perfect shape".

1st runner up: @betamax for the format change giving the photo a different focus and the beautiful colours.

winner: @BosseBe for getting everything better I have criticized in my pic without overdoing anything.
The b&w high contrast-version has its charms too, though the trees in @Zeus1 show some more detail.

Honorable mentions:
@frankmulder for the impressionist rendition.
@GregRed for entry #2: with those lovely clouds reflected in the water, too, no one would have beaten you.
@Rob Rider for getting rid of everything man-made ... just pure nature.

Thanks to all the others, the reason for you not being on the podium lies not in the quality of your work but is due my taste.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
Your entries show - as usual - with how much dedication, fun and creativity everyone works on the original posts. And I agree with all judges of the latest PPCs that there's much scrolling up and down involved and decision-taking is no easy task.

As I mentioned in my introductory remarks there were several things I didn't like with my photo:
- slight tilt of the border at the end of the lake (I have now the level gauge display on continuously).
- the flowers on the right take too much room and the house with the car distract from the main scenery
- I wanted the bridge with the railings at 2:1 on the bottom (I had also taken photos without)
but: the gravel lacks details (overexposed)
- the colour of the wooden railings is the withered greyish light brown, the rust dirty and cold in tone,
both as to the blues of the paint and the reds of the rust. When correcting colours (sky / trees) these tend
to become too warm. This was the toughest problem for me.
When I'm posting in PPC I'm always torn between staying as close as possible or going somewhere completely different. You can only tell after the contest what was better when you see all the entries. Each way to follow has its special charms.

So here's my decision:
2nd runner up: @RichardC for the beautiful grip into the cardboard-box with the prints of ancient times in faded colours. You managed to keep the rusty rail almost in "perfect shape".

1st runner up: @betamax for the format change giving the photo a different focus and the beautiful colours.

winner: @BosseBe for getting everything better I have criticized in my pic without overdoing anything.
The b&w high contrast-version has its charms too, though the trees in @Zeus1 show some more detail.

Honorable mentions:
@frankmulder for the impressionist rendition.
@GregRed for entry #2: with those lovely clouds reflected in the water, too, no one would have beaten you.
@Rob Rider for getting rid of everything man-made ... just pure nature.

Thanks to all the others, the reason for you not being on the podium lies not in the quality of your work but is due my taste.
Thank you very much for the kind words!
I will try to have a new challenge up later tonight.

andrewfphoto

New to Mu-43
First of all welcome!
I really hope that this forum never bans anyone for their processing style!
BTW your style is interesting and different, and that is good.
Many thanks... and to all who gave it a like - a very warm welcome. :drinks:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom