Post-Processing Challenge #501-- Closed

GregRed

Mu-43 Regular
Rodeos are a lot of fun to shoot, and also present excellent opportunities for learning how to clean your sensor after you're done... 🙄 This was taken last summer at the annual Tsuut'ina Pow Wow and Rodeo, just outside of Calgary. You can get amazing bison and elk burgers there, on bannock bread buns, but that's a story for another time. Here, a lot of subject detail is obscured in shadow, so that's one place to start making editing decisions:

P_G93435.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RAW file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j32i45kf74nghol/P_G93435.RW2?dl=0

JPG:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/98mxt908qjg9mso/P_G93435.JPG?dl=0

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules:

1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the Challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
Notes:

• Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.
The Challenge will close sometime on Sunday, October 13, GMT -6 (or there about).

Last edited:

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Rodeos are a lot of fun to shoot, and also present excellent opportunities for learning how to clean your sensor after you're done... 🙄 This was taken last summer at the annual Tsuut'ina Pow Wow and Rodeo, just outside of Calgary. You can get amazing bison and elk burgers there, on bannock bread buns, but that's a story for another time. Here, a lot of subject detail is obscured in shadow, so that's one place to start making editing decisions:

View attachment 779511

RAW file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j32i45kf74nghol/P_G93435.RW2?dl=0

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules:

1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the Challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
Notes:

• Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.
The Challenge will close sometime on Sunday, October 13, GMT -6 (or there about).
Thank you: a worthy challenge image. May I suggest that you also provide a jpeg version please?

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
Used the Raw file in DxO PL2. Standard profile. Selective tone with highlights and midtones down and Blacks and shadows up. ClearView 50. Contrast to taste. Gamma 0.9. Exposure +0.25.

And a B&W from that with selective colour from NIK. Rescue personel are always dressed in RED.

Fred S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Fred S
Very nice shot
Used Affinity Photo Processed the Raw . Mostly Tones and Highlights
A little on the colors to make them Pop

P_G93435 re02.jpg

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
I edited the raw file in DXO PL2. The usual tweaks, mainly light levels, contrast, noise reduction, some Clearview. Then in Elements, removed dust spot, selectively opened up shadows, selectively added contrast to the man at left, then back again to PL2 where I added some vibrance.
I don't know what I did to cause the dark halo around the cloud (I tried to reduce it but did not succeed without my attempt leaving obvious artifacts, but later I tried to reduce it by dodging, which was somewhat successful).

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lyle

Straightening and shadow detail adjustments in DxO PL2. "Opened up the aperture" and other adjustments in Gimp.

Last edited:

Hannety

Mu-43 Regular
Raw processed in photolab. General fiddling around I don't remember. Do remember selectively brightening the rider and mount and darkening the sky a little. Didn't like the one legged man on the left or the colorful tent thing. Did like the foreground guy and his feet so the crop had to be square.
P_G93435_ae11600.jpg

Jay_M

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice shot, having a little fun with the b&w edit, Luminar 3

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Entry #2: For fun, practiced using context aware fill (with tidying up using the clone stamp) in Elements to remove man at left, then added a little split toning in DXO Filmpack. Unfortunately the dark halo around the cloud got worse then I tried to improve it by dodging.

Last edited:

todd phillips

Mu-43 Veteran

rpatodia

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
pic 1 with Nik HDR effect
P_G93435 (1)_DxO_edited1_Nik_DxO.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
used Nik Silver efex Pro2
P_G93435 (1)_DxO_edited1_Nik_Nik_DxO.jpg

Nice shot! I opened it in photoshop ACR worked on opening the shadows, it took a second opening as camera raw filter to open enough for my liking. I used the HSL filters to get the sky looking a bit better, and finished with Topaz Denoise AI.

for this version I added a stained glass effect at about 50 percent.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
Used various editing tools, Adobe PS CC 2019, ON 1 Raw, Olympus Workspace and NIK Dfine 2 to add punch, clarity and reduce noise.

The second image was imported to Adobe Lightroom 2019, Subject bull rider was brought out of the darkness and the spectators in background were desaturated and dropped in structure to make them less prominent in the image. After those edits I opened in NIK Collection Dfine 2 to reduce the horrible noise in the original image. Can someone explain why it was shot at ISO 800 when it was bright daytime?
P_G93435 edit_01 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom