Post Processing Challenge #498 - Closed - Winners announced

Hannety

Mu-43 Regular
Sand bank, low tide, late afternoon.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I love the textures and shadow from the setting sun. The sky was very bland that day so I would be open to seeing it replaced with something more interesting as long as it is believable.

basic processed to jpeg

RW2 Raw

Good luck - have fun.

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules:

1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the Challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
Notes:

• Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.
Contest should close Saturday 28th, which being a busy day for me means it will probably carry on till Sunday.

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
My take, processing in DT, slight crop, removed bird and disturbing elements in background, increased saturation and contrast.

I replaced the sky in Photoshop, then worked on the contrast in Topaz Studio 2.

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Opened RW2 file in DXO PL2, applied a tad of Clearview, moved dark point a bit to the right, increased color temperature to warm the image up a bit, then in Elements, applied some haze reduction, brightness/contrast. Using ON1 Effects added some dynamic contrast, darkend the sky, added a bit of shaprness, and a very slight vignette. Using Nik Color Efex, I warmed up the image some more, and finally used DXO to adjust the horizon (I didn't notice it in the beginning, and couldn't do it in Elements). Too bad I discovered that I had lost the bird after cropping ...:)

P1390224_DxO-1dcLL_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
Raw file in DxO PL2, Clearview, Microcontrast, contrast and lowered the Gamma. Removed the half-seen person on the left. Ooh, and a graduated filter for the sky.
P1390224_DxO_Web_2.jpg

And a B&W from the above with light orange filter.
P1390224_DxO_Web_3.jpg

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Another attempt (but not clever enough to know how to change the sky :) ).

P1390224 Copy Copy_DxOdcLL2.jpg

Last edited:

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川

DGoakill

Mu-43 Rookie

Slight Crop, removed distracting elements, adjusted basic color and contrast in LR. Softened the light and added some haze in Color Efex.

Edited color Version above after LR in Silver Efex. Added high key and contrast. Square Crop.

rpatodia

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh

rpatodia

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John

Using the JPG in DxO Film Pack 5 I jettisoned the sky to simplify my life and wound up with an image that could be an airplane view of the Chilean high deserts, wind blown and little touched by humans. Hope you like it.

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
A really lovely pic to work with! Using Adobe Camera Raw, I sprinkled a little bit of more pretty much everywhere in the image. I had a spare sky with a bird (shot with a 12mm) lying around so I managed to layer that in with Photoshop. Thank you for the invitation. ;) It was pure luck that the clouds echo the strong diagonal at lower left.

Jay_M

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Really cool beach

GregRed

Mu-43 Regular
Affinity Photo for colour and contrast adjustments:

Playing around with Topaz Studio painting filters:

Hannety

Mu-43 Regular
They/someone/I say wide angle landscapes need foreground interest. For me that interest is the pebbles and shells in the pool that you feel like you could stick your foot out and touch. It really helps with the feeling of being there. The shooting angle had to make the foreground pool see through and I love the ripples of light on the sand created by ripples on the surface being lenses.

To the point - cropping the foreground is bad.

On sky replacement.

@Rob Rider – big fluffy clouds down to the horizon don’t look real. Shame rest of the images were nicely done.

@AussiePhil – nicely done but lightening? Standing in salt water and being the tallest thing for about a mile in any direction I don’t know if I would have taken off my wellington boots to help run faster or left them on for better insulation :) You chopped off the foreground anyway.

@Hendrik – you left a tiny white strip down the left hand edge, the light on the clouds is maybe a touch high to match the rest of the scene. Apart from that believable and very nice.

On not replaced sky there is some variety and I probably like @rpatodia #2 best.

On the sand and pools again some variety of color and contrast. I like @BosseBe #1, maybe a little dark, @Dinobe #1 again maybe a little dark, @Hendrik #1 nice, @Rob Rider #1 nice, @Robert Davidson nice little too vibrant, @rpatodia both nice.

Some others were soft @DGoakill @GregRed @relic compare with @BosseBe #1 for example. I assume not intentional. I don’t know where the softness comes from.

Picking the winner wasn’t too hard, runners up were closer.

Joint 3rd @Robert Davidson and @rpatodia #1

2nd @BosseBe #1

1st @Hendrik – best overall. That said I would have lost the figure far left for being just too close to the edge and the image is tilted about 1/3 of a degree down on the right which you (and some others) didn’t correct.

So congratulation @Hendrik or commiserations if you didn’t want the hassle of posting and judging the next one :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom