Post Processing Challenge #490 - Closed - Winner Announced

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Post Processing Challenge #490 - Closing Friday midnight GMT

We had gone up the Hunter Valley wine region a few weekends ago and over the two days the only photo's were of this scene :)

It's a simple Australian country scene

X7283139.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Taken with the EM1X so i'll drop in a DNG file as well

RAW: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5m25lce93cfxys/X7283139.ORF?dl=0
DNG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j3845me7vhm5es7/030075-X7283139.dng?dl=0
JPG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2nd9u3fd7j7jowj/X7283139.JPG?dl=0

This contest will end roughly midnight Friday GMT.

I'll leave the rules intact however this will be closer to 48 hrs as I have a likely busy weekend

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules:
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the challenge is honoured as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:

• Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.
Enjoy!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Used DxO PL2 on ORF file (EM1X is supported now), Exposure compensation - Highlight Priority - Medium, Smart Lighting - Uniform - Slight, Clearview Plus - 50, Contrast - Microcontrast - Auto; Contrast - 25,
Vibrancy & Saturation - 30.
First Entry: Gamma 1.20 (Tone Curve).
X7283139_DxO_Web_2.jpg

Second Entry: Gamma 0.80.
X7283139_DxO_Web_3.jpg

As I wanted to show the difference gotten by using Gamma, no B&W this time (But of course I will do one, if only for my own enjoyment).

(I just realized that is has been just 2 years since I first posted in this thread, I have participated in 90 challenges in that time and have hosted 11 challenges.
I really enjoy this! And I'm learning a lot.)

Last edited:

relic

Hobbyist
Thank you for the beautiful shot. Edited the ORF file in DXO PL2 (slightly reduced exposure and highlights, Clearview 30, lens sharpness -1, and chromatic aberration correction). In Elements, I leveled the image ever so slightly, applied haze reduction to the reflections, reduced saturation a bit, and in ON1 Effects applied dynamic contrast first to the reflections then again to the whole image, enhanced greens, and added slight vignetting. Then in Elements, brightened (using levels), resized and apllied unsharp mask (amount 30, radius 0.3).

X7283139_DxOdLL3.jpg

Last edited:

Rob Rider

Mu-43 Veteran
X7283139-studio-denoise-Edit.jpeg

I used Topaz Studio 2 with basic adjustments to the black and white sliders,
light dehaze and HSL adjustment to the blue and green. Then used Topaz Denoise AI for the sharpening.

Fred S

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Fred S
GREAT shot.
Used Affinity Photo to edit ORF . Just added more PUNCH
Contrast, Saturation , WB , Selective Color ( Greens )

X7283139 re 12 .jpg

relic

Hobbyist
Entry #2: used entry #1 then applied Nik Color Efex/sunlight.

X7283139_DxOdLL5.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
X7283139_DxO_edited.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
X7283139_DxO_edited_B&W.jpg

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Joel
X7283139 ba.jpg

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Here we go: processing in DT, different approach this time: perspective correction, increased saturation by colour correction module, dodge burn using the tone curve module, increased contrast using the equalizer module.
Haven't touched the ones I used before: exposure, contrast and saturation, filmic,.... in DT there is more than one way to skin a cat :) and I'm still learning

030075-X7283139_02.jpg

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Processed the raw file in Lightroom, lowered highlights, raised shadows, added texture. Added a lowered opacity Kodachrome 64 LUT in Photoshop, cropped and added an antique style border in ON1.

X7283139-col.jpg

Entry 2, as above, reduced the contrast, removed the LUT and added a 'platinum' gradient map in Photoshop.

X7283139-bw.jpg

GregRed

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Greg
Version 2 (slightly improved)
X7283139-sharp-sharpen2.jpg

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Hi all,

Despite judging being tough already - there is about 6 hours left to get an entry in or update one already done.

Cheers
Phil

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Well thanks to all for the entries,

There was something to like in all of them making this a little hard however we have a top three.

3rd place to @Dinobe, for the work to highlight the reflection of the main tree

2nd place to @relic for Entry 1, held onto the dry look whilst giving the clouds some greater dimensions.

1st pace to @RichardC for the black and white version, it just looked like a photo that would have come out of an old photo album, loved it.

Over to you Richard

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Well thanks to all for the entries,

There was something to like in all of them making this a little hard however we have a top three.

3rd place to @Dinobe, for the work to highlight the reflection of the main tree

2nd place to @relic for Entry 1, held onto the dry look whilst giving the clouds some greater dimensions.

1st pace to @RichardC for the black and white version, it just looked like a photo that would have come out of an old photo album, loved it.

Over to you Richard

Thank you very much. I've just got in after a day out. I'll sort out a picture in the morning.

Latest threads

Top Bottom