Post Processing Challenge #489 closed - winner annouced.

Hannety

Mu-43 Rookie
Beach, sea, sky, god rays, and sun burst...

P1100916_1600.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JPG basic processing from RAW
G80 RAW .RW2

Don't really know what I am looking for. Generally not very keen on monochrome but you are welcome to try. I think it is quite a dramatic shot already, so emphasizing that without going too crazy is probably good. I also see various cropping options. Most important - have fun.

Please let me know if I did anything wrong (or fix it if you can).

This contest will end late Tuesday GMT and be judged as soon as I find time.

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules:
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the challenge is honoured as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:

• Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.
Enjoy!

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Gorgeous photo. I used the raw file, processed in DXO PL2 (light, Clearview, chromatic aberration) then in Elements (contrast, cropping) and ON1 Effects (dynamic contrast, mild vignetting).

Last edited:

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Entry #2: Starting with entry #1, I used Nik Color Efex to warm up the image, then in Elements increased contrast, then slightly desaturated the sky.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
Used the Raw file in DxO, standard profile, Clearview default, Microcontrast auto, contrast 25, vibrancy and saturation 25, crop.

Used a uncropped version of the above in Nik Silver Efex, used default profile and red filter.

rpatodia

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh

rpatodia

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
High contrast Fuji Velvia style edit
P1100916-3-2-Exposure (1).jpg

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Back to tackle more challenges :)
Processing in DT as usual, using different modules than before
#1 - more subtle

#2 - bolder

Last edited:

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
Basic processing and cropping in C1 v10.

Fred S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Fred S
Developed raw in Affinity Photo

Hannety

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks all for participating. Lots of good efforts which left me struggling to find any obvious winner.

Two honorable mentions
@Rob Rider #2 Abstract processing producing a pleasing result.
@ooheadsoo #2 I like the edit and crop but somehow it ended up blurry (especially the foreground) which spoilt it for me.

Joint second place @BosseBe #1 and @relic #2. Both nice I can't choose between them.

Leaving first place to @AussiePhil. Love the foreground processing showing me interest I hadn't really appreciated was there. The rest is nicely done colour and contrast. Slightly regret cropping of some of the startling blue in the sky and ambivalent about the frame. Overall my favorite.

So I guess over to you Phil for #490

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Thanks all for participating. Lots of good efforts which left me struggling to find any obvious winner.

Two honorable mentions
@Rob Rider #2 Abstract processing producing a pleasing result.
@ooheadsoo #2 I like the edit and crop but somehow it ended up blurry (especially the foreground) which spoilt it for me.

Joint second place @BosseBe #1 and @relic #2. Both nice I can't choose between them.

Leaving first place to @AussiePhil. Love the foreground processing showing me interest I hadn't really appreciated was there. The rest is nicely done colour and contrast. Slightly regret cropping of some of the startling blue in the sky and ambivalent about the frame. Overall my favorite.

So I guess over to you Phil for #490
thanks @Hannety it was a truly interesting image to work with.. and welcome to the Forum and the post processing fun as well.
I'll often frame these contest entries as i like to picture the images as i would hang them on a wall without matting them :) I regretted cropping both top and bottom but also felt the image screamed too have a wider aspect ratio that left no real choice.

All it's the middle of the day and we are out for dinner this evening but i'll try and get something up later tonight

Well done to all

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom