Post-processing Challenge #482

protapic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Taken during a fishing trip earlier this year on the Bighorn River near Fort Smith Montana. While there appear to be dust specks on sensor (reasonable question since these are taken using LX100ii) there is a rather high density of insects in the air (hence good trout fishing in the area) so I believe the "spots" are out of focus insects (these "spots" do not appear in other pictures). An added "challenge" for your creative editing.
;)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Files available via dropbox links here:
BighornCabin.JPG
Bighorncabin.RAW

This Challenge will close in about three days, judgement to be on are around on Monday morning of July 22, 2019, 8AM ETS.

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
Notes:
  • Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

Last edited:

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice scenery for a walk, beautiful piture, John.
The link to the jpg does not work.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
The .RAW file worked fine!
So here are my entries, first a colour version:

And a B&W:

Fred S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Fred S
Just some shadows and Highlights a warm up and using Affinity Photo

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Very beautiful image. Used raw file. Edited it in DXO PL2 (basic light levels including some Clearview), minimal noise reduction, minimal lens sharpness, chromatic aberration correction (just in case...), removed the insect clusters. In Elements, "leveled" [sic] the image, some shadows/highlights correction, resized. In ON1 Effects, applied a little dynamic contrast and mild vignetting .

Last edited:

protapic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
@protapic From the EXIF it looks like this picture was taken in the evening at nearly 22:00?
Could it be that the quite large smudges is bats or something hunting the insects? They seem to be to large to be just out of focus insects and only show in the sky.
Hi @BosseBe . The picture was taken right near sunset, which would be closer to 8 or 9 PM if I remember correctly. The EXIF data is off by two hours from Cleveland OH time (I should, but never do, change the time on camera when I travel). According to the internet sunset then was about 8:30PM, and this was as last light was hitting the abandoned building. I did not see any bats, I'm pretty certain I would have seen them (I'm a bat fan and also look for them).

I am attaching a picture taken taken of that cabin about a minute later from a different angle. If you zoom into sky you will lots of the little bugs flying around (and see the "spots" in new places). I'm also including a picture of one of the fish I caught, and one of those bugs photobombed the picture.

zoom into sky

bug photobomber:

A post with other fishing pics from this couple day trip are here

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi @BosseBe . The picture was taken right near sunset, which would be closer to 8 or 9 PM if I remember correctly. The EXIF data is off by two hours from Cleveland OH time (I should, but never do, change the time on camera when I travel). According to the internet sunset then was about 8:30PM, and this was as last light was hitting the abandoned building. I did not see any bats, I'm pretty certain I would have seen them (I'm a bat fan and also look for them).

I am attaching a picture taken taken of that cabin about a minute later from a different angle. If you zoom into sky you will lots of the little bugs flying around (and see the "spots" in new places). I'm also including a picture of one of the fish I caught, and one of those bugs photobombed the picture.

View attachment 761966

zoom into sky

View attachment 761967

bug photobomber:

View attachment 761965

A post with other fishing pics from this couple day trip are here
Even if I can't see the bugs in your other pictures except the fish one, I have seen those smudges in my own photos (Kukkola rapids) and concluded that they are bugs after finding a mosquito bite in my face. :(
So I'm sure you are right.

Perfect picture to start with except for those bugs or spots on the lens/sensor. So I just did bug removal and added some vibrance for #1 entry, then played with some effects for #2 entry.

After reading your description of the time of day when taken, I tried to imagine the lighting.

On this I used the Topaz Impression plugin for a different look.

betamax

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alan
Nice setting. Looks very peaceful. I used luminar AI, then some red/orange/yellow HSL adjustments.

betamax

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alan
and #2 is through topaz studio's 'a bit sketchy' filter.

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Cleared the sky from spots (hope I got all them bugs), adjusted colours, saturation and brightness and chose 16:9 format. And got rid of the electricity pylons on the horizont line. All PP done with LR.
Bighorn2019-C482-3.jpg

Last edited:

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran
a little brighter

Dinobe

Mu-43 Regular
Lovely image to start with. I felt it needed to be black and white, don't ask me why.
Processing in DT. B&W, cropping, perspective correction, dodge and burn, vignet, retouch (removing the spots), local contract, added some grain
Bighorn2019-C482.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh

rpatodia

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom