Post-processing Challenge #481 (Winners announced)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by relic, Jul 13, 2019 at 6:24 PM.

1. relic

relic Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2010
    North Carolina, USA
    I'm afraid that this may be the "best" photo I have. I now take mostly mug shots of bugs and grandkids and have almost no "photos" except some random old pictures.

_SZ79808M.

JPEG file: Dropbox - _SZ79808.JPG - Simplify your life
    ORF file: Dropbox - _SZ79808.ORF - Simplify your life

This Challenge will close in about three days, at the end of the day "wherever you are" on Tuesday, July 16, 2019.

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules
    1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
    2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
    3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
    4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
    5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
    Notes:
    • Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
    • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
    • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
    • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
    • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

2. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    The entire goal for me was to lift all the hidden details. the 16:9 crop allowed me to cut out a distractions and focus back on the line of tractors.
    I did resist the temptation to photoshop in lightning mcqueen :)
    _SZ79808.

• Like Like x 7
  3. rpatodia

rpatodia Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2013
    India
    Ramesh
    _SZ79808_DxO_edited.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Dinobe

Dinobe Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Lochristi, Belgium
    _SZ79808_01.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  5. Walter

Walter Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2016
    Germany
    _sz79808.2.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Used .ORF in DxO PL2, first colour:
    _SZ79808_DxO_Web_2.
    Then B&W from the above:
    _SZ79808_DxO_Web_3.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Rob Rider

Rob Rider Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Tucson Arizona
    I finally just got tired of the garbage cans as I wanted to give more attention to the tractors.
    _SZ79808.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 3:20 PM
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Rob Rider

Rob Rider Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Tucson Arizona
    I used the NIK silver efex
    A yellow filter and sepia tone.
    _SZ79808-BW.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Walter

Walter Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2016
    Germany
    _sz79808.3.

• Like Like x 5
  10. _SZ79808.

• Like Like x 6
    _SZ79808_edit2.

• Like Like x 5
  12. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Nik tools and LR

C481-01.

• Like Like x 6
  13. rpatodia

rpatodia Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2013
    India
    Ramesh
    Almost all are same except cropping factor. So trying a close crop _SZ79808_DxO_edited_edited.

• Like Like x 5
  14. relic

Oct 21, 2010
    North Carolina, USA
    Thanks to everyone who participated so far. All excellent entries. There is still a little time for anyone wishing to enter before the context closes.

• Like Like x 2
  15. relic

Oct 21, 2010
    North Carolina, USA
    Challenge is now closed. I'll try to select winners sometime today. Many thanks for all the truly excellent entries.

16. relic

Oct 21, 2010
    North Carolina, USA
    As always, all the entries were excellent and much better than my attempts at editing this image which was bad as an image to begin with. I thought that the row of barrels on the right were a distraction and hoped that some would remove them one way or another, and some did.
    Here are my (basically uninformed and somewhat arbitrary) thoughts:

@AussiePhil did a superb work of opening up the shadows and I liked the brightness and colors of his entry.
    @rpatodia's entry was also successful in opening up the shadows and brightening the image with wonderful, slightly warmer colors.
    @Dinobe did an equally excellent job of opening up the shadows with beautiful colors and details.
    Ditto for @Walter's also excellent submission.
    @BosseBe removed most of the barrels and and I liked the details, colors and contrast in his first entry. Excellent contrast also in the B&W image.
    I liked both of @Rob Rider's entries very much. He did a great job on the faces in shadow, wonderful contrast, colors and details, and got rid of those barrels. The sepia-toned b&w is also very attractive.
    I liked @Walter's 2nd entry even more than the first because of the increased color saturation and contrast.
    @Robert Davidson also did a great job in opening up the shadows (especially on the faces) and lovely colors and details in the color version, and beautiful contrast in the B&W version.
    @protapic got rid of the barrels completely, and I thought his vintage image rendering was very appropriate for the subject. Also the faded borders suggested a continuous line of tractors in the distance that one cannot see.
    @rpatodia chose to highlight the first two tractors by cropping the image and so also got rid of the barrels. Very nice.

Now to the difficult, and rather arbitrary decision (as one must do):
    Winner is @protapic. 1st runner up @Rob Rider (either version). 2nd runner up @Robert Davidson (also either entry).

Thank you all for taking the time to submit entries despite the poor challenge image.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Walter

Walter Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2016
    Germany
    Thanks @relic for your detailed and helpful comments and the good choice of "your best". They all have deserved their place on the platform. These entries along with the others show me there is still much to do on my way of learning by doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Thanks @relic ! I found those barrels distracting and removed those using LR spot removal and then blended areas. And then used Silver Efex Pro to help de-emphasize other distracting background elements and give it vintage look.

Challenge #482 is now posted.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.