Post-Processing Challenge #469

I had trouble finding an image for the challenge and decided to step away from the usual landscape/ scene and go for something different. This was taken in my front garden a couple of years ago. 2 young Kookaburras not long out of the nest. We hand feed the birds most days on our front verandah.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JPEG and RAW files can be found here:
Dropbox - PhotoChallenge - Simplify your life

Competition closes at 6pm, Thursday, May 23rd, wherever you are. I expect to start judging over Friday morning.

The usual stuff:

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules.

The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.

Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.

Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.

At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.

The Winner of the challenge is honoured as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:

Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.

"Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.

If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honour passes to the next Runner-up.

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Birds, not exactly my specialty.
Processing using DT. Square crop, filmic module to set exposure, added a vignette to accent the birds, added local contrast,

That was nice of the birds to pose for you. Beautiful!

I processed this completely in Topaz Studio. I made a version closer to the original crop but then decided to go closer as to see the birds better.

version #2

I opened in Lightroom and did everything there except for using the Topaz Denoise AI at the end.

rpatodia

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh

rpatodia

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Beautiful picture and not a lot needed to do with it, a great challenge!
Thanks also for providing a picture of birds, I take far to few pictures of birds so it will be fun to work with.

First entry: used .ORF in DxO, this time I skipped both Smart Lighting and Clearview, added some Microcontrast and contrast, used Prime Noise reduction, added some lens sharpness and some unsharp mask, lifted midtones and shadows a bit.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #2: a little tighter crop and lowered the temperature by 237K, more contrast.

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Edited raw file in DXO PL2 then used Elements. Photo is very nice so I just tweaked it a bit, mainly by decreasing the saturation and level of the green leaves, warming the white balance slightly, and brightening the image overall. In cropping I tried to use the tree branches as a frame. I see someone in the tree trunk mocking my editing effort by sticking his tongue out at me :)

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
As per usual:
Exposure tweaks in Adobe Camera Raw.
Open two smart objects in Photoshop, 1., Birds/limbs; 2., leaves, sky.
Adjusted exposure, clarity and texture in both.
Birds got boost.
Leaves received opposite treatment, but not to same extent.
Blended layers with a mask.
Created a raster layer from visible pixels, sharpened high-pass.
Blended the sharpening over the birds and their limb, not the leaves or other tree parts.
Created a vignette with a Curves layer, masked the birds from the effect.
Cropped, flattened, downsized image.

Brian Beezley

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lyle

I decided the opposite gazes would work better if the kookaburras were closer together. So I spent most of my time making that happen. Other changes were rotation, crop, color temp, contrast, selective sharpening and detail enhancement. Worked from raw in DxO and Gimp.

bioduck

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dan
I changed overall exposure and saturation of greens and then used the selective brush to increase exposure on birds and to decrease exposure on branches as well as to increase contrast, sharpness, and clarity on eyes and beaks.

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
Edited in Capture One to adust tone, contrast and get warmer colours. DenoiseAI. Then into Flex for some sun-rays.

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Entry #2: Brightened entry #1 using 'curves' in Elements/Elements+

Last edited:

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
View attachment 745768
I decided the opposite gazes would work better if the kookaburras were closer together. So I spent most of my time making that happen. Other changes were rotation, crop, color temp, contrast, selective sharpening and detail enhancement. Worked from raw in DxO and Gimp.
Amazing virtuosity. Not a hint as to where things got edited.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Mono

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom