Post-processing challenge #443

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
Notes:
  • Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

Next up, this challenging exposure from a canyon floor in Namibia:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jpeg: Dropbox - P7180467-1.jpg
Raw: Dropbox - P7180467.ORF

This challenge will close at 3:30pm EST on January 15th!

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
Used .ORF file in DxO PL2.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
Thanks to @ddekadt for providing this picture, it is the first time I have seen the difference Contrast settings can make to a picture.
In other pictures it has been so subtle that I don't know what is happening but in this I can actually see the difference when applying a Micro contrast of 16, then Fine contrast at the same value and finally Contrast at the same value!
This is is something I haven't seen before, probably because I haven't known what to look for!

This is one reason I love this thread, I get to play with so many different pictures and can learn new things every time!

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Thanks to @ddekadt for providing this picture, it is the first time I have seen the difference Contrast settings can make to a picture.
In other pictures it has been so subtle that I don't know what is happening but in this I can actually see the difference when applying a Micro contrast of 16, then Fine contrast at the same value and finally Contrast at the same value!
This is is something I haven't seen before, probably because I haven't known what to look for!

This is one reason I love this thread, I get to play with so many different pictures and can learn new things every time!
I thought this would make an interesting (and challenging picture) to process. I took it years ago (along with some others, this is the best), and never figured out how to get an image I was happy with out of it.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
As usual I like to try B&W, but this time I could not find a conversion that I liked. So I converted to to B&W and added a Split Toning with Sepia-Gold.

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Lovely photo, I bet it was stunning in person!
Two exposure tweaks in Adobe Camera Raw - one for the sky, the other for the rest - saved as Smart Objects and blended with a mask.
Some brushing to lead the eye.

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro

I have "contrast" and "microcontrast' in PL2, but I don't see a "fine contrast". Is that in PL2? Many thanks!

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
I have "contrast" and "microcontrast' in PL2, but I don't see a "fine contrast". Is that in PL2? Many thanks!
Yes it's in PL2. This is how it looks for me:

Jay_M

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This image really made me want to try a sky replacement. I used the silhouette method in Luminar.

edit: just wanted to add I really love the perspective of this photo

Last edited:

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes it's in PL2. This is how it looks for me:
View attachment 710439
Thank you very much for your quick reply. Are you using a Mac? If so it may be a Mac vs Windows difference (I use Windows 7). Here is what mine looks like:

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
Thank you very much for your quick reply. Are you using a Mac? If so it may be a Mac vs Windows difference (I use Windows 7). Here is what mine looks like:
View attachment 710448
No, I'm not using a Mac, I have W10 and the Elite version, do you have the Essential version?
You seem not to have the auto wizard for Micro contrast.
Edit: I now see the wizard /Edit

Last edited:

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
No, I'm not using a Mac, I have W10 and the Elite version, do you have the Essential version?
You seem not to have the auto wizard for Micro contrast.
Interesting. I am using the Elite version too, v2.1.0 build 23440, and when I click "check for update" it tells me I have the latest update.
Thank you very much, but the mystery continues.... :)

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
Interesting. I am using the Elite version too, v2.1.0 build 23440, and when I click "check for update" it tells me I have the latest update.
Thank you very much, but the mystery continues.... :)
I have the same version and build, I also have the Filmpack and Viewpoint but that shouldn't matter, could it possibly be that W7 is the problem?

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Beautiful photo. I was quite unhappy with my original entry, and the more I fiddled the less satisfied I became, so I started again from scratch. I edited raw file in DXO PL2: mainly increased contrast, CA reduction, and, using local adjustments I reduced the brightness of the sky. In ON1 Effects I added a minute amount of "dynamic contrast" and 50% "HDR Look/Subtle". In Elements I did some local sharpening, cropped a bit from the bottom, and resized.

Last edited:

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have the same version and build, I also have the Filmpack and Viewpoint but that shouldn't matter, could it possibly be that W7 is the problem?
I guess it is possible. I thought there might be some setting in "preferences" but didn't see any. I have Viewpoint but not Filmpack. Thank you very much (I find it curious even as it really doesn't concern me as I already have "too many" sliders :))

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Entry #2: Converted Entry #1 into B&W using ON1 Effects.

Last edited:

todd phillips

Mu-43 Veteran

rawtherapee (just for some sharpening related stuffs and resize/crop) then into gimp. for color used nik-cfx for selective contrast touches then back to gimp for d&b. then nik-sfx for the bw and back to gimp for a bit more d&b. seeing them again now noticing some stuff I'd change/fix but just leaving it haha..

Zeus1

Mu-43 All-Pro
Belgium, small town between Antwerp and Ghent

Cropping to remove the out-of-focus foreground. Sharpening, removing chromatic aberrations on the rock-sky border, a touch of Aurora HDR. nik Color Efex Pro Contrast over the rocks, but not the sky.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom