Post-Processing Challenge #440: Winner announced.

relic

Hobbyist
I took this photo at the "Got to be NC" Festival in 2012 (Raleigh, NC, USA).

_5180544M_sRGB.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The challenge will close Wednesday. January 2nd, at 4 PM Eastern Standard Time (9 PM GMT).

JPEG: Dropbox - _5180544.JPG
RAW: Dropbox - _5180544.ORF

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
Notes:
  • Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honour passes to the next Runner-up
Happy New Year to everyone!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Used the .ORF file in DxO PL2.
_5180544_DxO_Web.jpg

And a B&W version.
_5180544_DxO_Web_2.jpg

Jay_M

Mu-43 Top Veteran
_5180544_3.jpg

2donggalbi

Mu-43 Regular
_5180544M_sRGBfx.jpeg

Hi. I recently joined and it's my first post in Mu-43. Used the JPEG image.

Affinity Photo for basic adjustments (straighten + distortion correction + colors and curves + sharpening) and Tonality for desaturation.

relic

Hobbyist
Hi. I recently joined and it's my first post in Mu-43. Used the JPEG image.

Affinity Photo for basic adjustments (straighten + distortion correction + colors and curves + sharpening) and Tonality for desaturation.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for participating.

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
_5180544_DxO-3_edited.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
_5180544_DxO-5_edited.jpg

Zeus1

Mu-43 All-Pro
Belgium, small town between Antwerp and Ghent
@relic: Good choice!

Girls.jpg

Girls_Aur.jpeg

relic

Hobbyist
Thank you: I appreciate your comment (and your editing). Although I always try to do my best in entering the challenge, I always hope that I won't win because I have very few "photos", as I take mostly bug mug shots... Oh, and judging is not fun at all when everyone's entries are so good.

Last edited:

Jay_M

Mu-43 Top Veteran
_5180544_5.jpg

relic

Hobbyist
Excellent entries. I'm going to be in trouble trying to judge these. Still a little over 12 hours before the Challenge closes if anyone wishes to enter.

relic

Hobbyist
Challenge is now closed. Many thanks to all the participants. Excellent and quite varied entries throughout. I've been looking at them over time trying to form an opinion, and every time I would choose a different entry, so postponing the decision probably will not help, yet I will postpone and try to make a decision tomorrow.

Walter

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Somehow I missed the contest, but found the photo challenging enough to give it a try.
Just to share ... outside the contest, of course ;-))
_5180544 .jpg

relic

Hobbyist
Time to make a decision, arbitrary as it surely will be. All the entries are so much better than what I could come up with. Each entry has its own wonderful character and I enjoyed them all. So it was impossible for me to say one is the "best". It boiled down to what I was attracted to after repeated viewings, and even so, there were many in that list. But I'll have to choose one winner, and I've decided on @2donggalbi. I liked the understated character of his entry, even though I also loved @Zeus1's 2nd entry too for its understated color. For runner up I will choose @Jay_M's first (color) entry not only because it is excellent but because it is what I initially envisioned the scene to look like. I would like to also mention the remarkable highlight recovery that @Robert Davidson achieved in the background blown highlights. Amazing work done by all so I thank each one for your superb work (of course, including @Walter who missed the submission deadline).
So over to you, @2donggalbi.

2donggalbi

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you very much @relic . I think the $10 online video course paid off. :) I've seen other very good entries, so I wasn't expecting to win. I'll make a new post as soon as I can find a good and fun photograph for post processing. Wish everyone a good luck in the New Year!

Latest threads

Top Bottom