1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Post Processing Challenge #429

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by dbuckle, Nov 8, 2018.

1. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules
    1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
    2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
    3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
    4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
    5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
    Notes:
    • Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
    • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
    • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
    • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
    • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.
    This photo was taken on Long Point on the Canadian side of Lake Erie.

44874717015_e4cd1f57da_k.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    P8185500 by Dave Buckle, on Flickr

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  2. relic

relic Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2010
    North Carolina, USA
    Entry #1: Cropped, tweaked contrast, brightness, etc., in DXO then in Elements and ON1 Perfect Effects. I thought colors in my original post were too saturated, so I added a B&W layer and reduced its opacity to 20% to get (I think) a slightly more natural look.

44874717015_c915613531_o_DxOdccLL2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  3. todd phillips

todd phillips Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2018
    20181108200813-18fe76fc.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    It's a very peaceful scene! I thought I would see how adding some ground mist might promote both the feeling of calm and the great depth. I then got involved in some other manipulations, both saturation and hue shifts to make it look a little more as if it were the product of a seriously OCD painter. I especially wanted the sky and the reflections of clouds to be a strong part of the image.

dbuckleppc.jpg

All done in Photoshop
    Gradient layer to add haze in background, masked to block the effect from the sky and some of the water surface
    Curves layer with a mask to promote the sky
    Curves layer (no mask) to pull down the darker colors and add a little bit of contrast mostly to the foreground
    Hue/Saturation:
    Yellows: hue toward orange (-8), saturation unchanged
    Blues: hue more so (+9), saturation increased (+39)

• Like Like x 4
  5. Jay_M

Jay_M Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 30, 2018
    AZ
    Went for a golden hour kind of look just to be different
    44874717015_e4cd1f57da_k entry.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  6. Tried to give the impression of a beautiful sunny day. Basic stuff in Camera Raw, followed by removing the long poles in the background. Some heavy removing of chromatic noise in sky using Imagenomics Noiseware.

Lake.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  7. Is there files available or should I just copy the JPG in this thread?
    Another matter, it says 2 hour Post-Processing Challenge. do you really mean that? ;) 
    If not, when is the closing time?

8. relic

Oct 21, 2010
    North Carolina, USA
    Not a full reply to your question, but for what it's worth, what I've done is clicked on the image then dowload the full size image from Flickr. I hope @dbuckle@dbuckle will see your question above.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. dbuckle

Sorry about that. When I copied and paste the rules I cut off the 7 in 72-hours. I will let it run until Sunday noon my local time. Follow Relics suggestion for copying the image. I only use flickr so there are only jpeg images.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. Got the original size JPG from Flickr and used DxO PL2.
    44874717015_c915613531_o_DxO_Web.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. Didn't do too much to it.

Increased the contrast, warmed a little with 85 filter and added lens blur and slight vignette. All in Photoshop.

river.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  12. relic

Oct 21, 2010
    North Carolina, USA
    Entry #2: using entry #1, I applied "'Subtle' HDR Look" filter in ON1 Effects with reduced highlights and reduced shadows, then changed the hue of the resulting cyan sky toward the blue.

44874717015_c915613531_o_DxOdccLL3.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  13. dbuckle

After a great deal of reflection I have chosen Todd Phillips Effort as the Winner. I like the crop and colours.

• Like Like x 4
  14. todd phillips

Feb 17, 2018
    Surprise, surprise! Very nice image choice for the challenge. Thanks for hosting. I will get the next round going asap here. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  15. todd phillips

Feb 17, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.