Post Processing Challenge #371

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by dlpruk, Feb 12, 2018.

1. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2016
    Hinckley, Leicestershire, UK
    David
    We've recently moved to a new home nearer our family that was previously owned by an old lady who had rather different tastes and ideas about design so much of the little work that the winter weather has allowed in the garden has been spent going around collecting things to take to the skip. (This is just a small group!)

Ornaments.

See what you can make of this 3-shot hand-held auto bracket...
    The jpgs are at Dropbox here
    The RAWs (RW2s) are at Dropbox here
    3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
    4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
    5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
    Notes:
    • The image used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own image. The image is posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
    • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
    • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
    • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
    • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.
    This challenge will close at 1 minute to Midnight GMT on Thursday 15th February.

Have fun!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Hi @dlpruk@dlpruk Can you check out the links? The Dropbox links are actually going to the previous photo in both the jpg and RAW lines. The 'here' link for jpgs actually goes to the folder with 3 jpgs but the 'here' link for the RAW files is empty.

I was going to ask about this part of the Challenge. Is it our own DropBox that we would be tossing our files into if if became our turn to host the Challenge, or is there a common DB for mu43 members? I haven't been able to find a post explaining this.

3. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    I have always hosted from my own dropbox. Others use Google drive.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2016
    David
    Sorry folks; more haste less speed. Dunno what I did or forgot to do but the 'here' links in the original post might, just possibly, work now!

5. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    They do. I just retrieved them.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Many thanks. Here's my attempt. Photo is excellent to start with, so not much change. I used the middle RAW file. Made WB a bit warmer, cropped and straightened it very slightly, tweaked exposure, shadows, blacks, etc. in Camera RAW that comes with Elements. In Elements I tweaked some more (shadows, contrast, etc.) and, using ON1 Perfect Effects, I used Dynamic Contrast and a little vignetting, downsized and sharpened in Elements.

P1040552dL.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    P1040551.

After some basic work in ACR I played with the perspective to allow for a tight 1:1 crop then applied the oil filter to add deep texture to the concrete figures. finally just a quick frame to help it stand out on a web page

• Like Like x 3
  8. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    Neat photo. Was this taken at the casting call for the new Pixar movie, Gnome Story?

I used the first raw since it had the least clipping on the gnome. First tweaks via ACR, then into Photoshop as a smart object. A second smart object via copy to darken the background, the two blended with a mask. Stamped the result to a raster layer, cloned to remove the hose and tidy the area up a bit, cropped. Further tweaks mostly highlighting selected portions of figurines with a view to adding a bit of dimensionality.

P1040551-Edit.

It's pretty clear that most of them are taking orders from The Purple Hedgehog. I'd watch my back, if I were you...

• Like Like x 3
  9. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

• Like Like x 3
  10. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Entry #2: Since there were three different exposures, I thought I'd try exposure photomerge in Elements. First I aligned the three images manually, then merged them, and edited the merged image as before. WB turned out to be somewhat cooler than my earlier entry.

hdrL.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  11. DennyVanNostrand

DennyVanNostrand Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2018
    HDR and composition

full.

• Like Like x 2
  12. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2016
    David
    The clock's ticking ... 12 hours to go, so plenty of time to make judging even more difficult.

13. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2016
    David
    Sorry for the delay but time's up. Thanks everyone for participating.
    Results when I've slept on my decision.

14. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2016
    David
    Thanks everyone for making the choice so difficult.

I saw much to admire in every entry:

relic was fastest off the mark and showed us all a highly competent first entry - although the wall I'm looking at through the window isn't as warm as that.

AussiePhil's wall is much more realistic and I like his filter and framing. But it seems slightly lacking in contrast to my eyes and on my monitor.

Hendrik's ornaments are superb and I love the humour in his post but his wall just isn't right.

I was blown away by dbuckle's highly creative edit that turned my collection of junk into something I could visualise in a gallery of modern art.

relic then came back with a second entry that was the first to exploit the possibilities of merging the three files I offered and didn't go too far into the realms of HDR.

Finally, Denny's merge showed a softer natural look that had the infamous wall spot on - although the junk lost a bit of prominence.

So where does that leave me?

As I saw the possibilities offered by the three files as an important part of this challenge, both relic (#2) and Denny made it to my short list. It was almost a flip of a coin to decide between them but Denny's wall just shaded it in his favour - so over to you for #372.

My second runner-up is dbuckle in recognition of his imagination.

Thanks again everyone.

15. DennyVanNostrand

Jan 3, 2018
  16. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
  17. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2016
    David
    Sorry JLGF1 but your entry arrived after the deadline and thus couldn't be judged. I'm sure Denny will be delighted if you enter the next competition when he starts it as winner of this one.

18. DennyVanNostrand

Jan 3, 2018
    I'm open to suggestions on the type of scene. I'll be using my awesome Olympus EM1 Mkii.

19. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    Yes, I know. I just posted so I could easily make comparisons of the PP to the other entries. Thanks for the fun photo to work on.

20. Hendrik

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    Your choice but, straight out of camera, it should raise questions in your mind about what to do with it. I've found that the more ways it has to go, the more likely it will generate a healthy response. I know that when I host I select the file from my problem children rather than my slam dunks. I suspect many others do, too.

• Agree Agree x 1