1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Post Processing Challenge #370 - Closed - Winner dlpruk

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by AussiePhil, Feb 8, 2018.

1. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Seems like we all got to miss posting a new challenge so i'll take the challenge up :) 

Here's #370, this is a sculpture on the foreshore in Cairns, I haven't played or processed it myself so please go for it and have fun.
    ppc370.
    E-M1MarkII    OLYMPUS M.12-100mm F4.0    18mm    f/4.0    1/5000s    ISO 400

See what you can make of this snapshot.
    The jpg is here - Dropbox - 009834-_1024602.jpg

The RAW (DNG) is here - Dropbox - 009834-_1024602.dng

3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
    4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
    5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
    Notes:
    • The image used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own image. The image is posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; it is not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
    • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
    • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
    • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
    • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.
    This challenge will close Australian Date time - Sunday night 11th February 2018.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. CD77

CD77 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 9, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    Chris
    Thanks for stepping up to the plate @AussiePhil@AussiePhil, thought I was going to have to run it for a second week!

• Like Like x 1
  3. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2016
    Hinckley, Leicestershire, UK
    David
    Most intriguing!
    All in LR. Straightened. bit of spotting and local colour adjustments with grad and radial filters to emphasise the silver fish, plus a bit of brushwork. Finished with light noise reduction, sharpening and a vignette.

Cairns 11-02-2018 01-36-06.
    Original at Flickr

I prefer a tighter crop:

Cairns crop 11-02-2018 01-39-46.
    Original at Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  4. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    @dlpruk@dlpruk - David, winner by lack of other entries, surprised others in the normal group were not inspired to have a play.

I'll give you the win on the second entry, nice work on grabbing the detail out of the stingray. It was an interesting object to photograph with all the shiny bits and reflections

Over to you David

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2016
    David
    Thanks Phil but I'm not happy to win by default so I hope you won't mind letting this run or another week. I hope this isn't the end of these as I've enjoyed playing but 'use it or lose it' comes to mind ...

6. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I'd go the other way David and have you throw up a different image for people, this one obviously didn't grab their interest...... I'm happy to let it run but it's already a day over so still think a new image may be better...

7. relic

relic Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2010
    I don't think it is lack of interest, at least not in my case. I must admit that I tried very hard, but your photo was so good to begin with that the only thing I could do that didn't make it worse was slight straightening to make the lamp post vertical. I tried different things but I didn't like anything I tried. I quite agree that @dlpruk@dlpruk did a wonderful job with his crop.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  8. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2016
    David
    I thought this was a particularly good challenge just because it was so good to start with. But I found plenty of ways to play - I don't remember everything I did but I:
    1. Used the lamppost as my vertical reference.
    2. Toned-down the white roof.
    3. Spotted-out some bits behind the sculpture.
    4. Adjusted the overall WB.
    5. Attempted to adjust the hue and saturation of the silver fish because I wanted it to stand out - and then reverted to the most recent previous snapshot because I was ruining the blues in the structure.
    6. Tried to get there with temperature, tint, saturation and exposure adjustments within a radial filter.
    7. Cropped and re-cropped several times before I was happy.
    8. A bit of light brushwork to reduce the clarity of the shoreline, aiming at a greater sense of distance.
    9. Light noise reduction and sharpening.
    10. A light vignette.
    I hope I learnt a bit along the way and that #371 will provide similar opportunities. DO please give me at least three entries so that we don't have another default situation! (It should be open within the hour)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  9. dlpruk

dlpruk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2016
    David
  10. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2017
    009834-_1024602_DxO-AFP-Kodachrome-64.
    E-M1MarkII    ---    18mm    f/4.0    1/5000s    ISO Array

• Like Like x 1
  11. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Hey thanks @relic@relic very kind of you to say.
    As I edited this one for inclusion in the Flickr albums i noticed a potential crop in the middle, sort of disappointed i missed it as an actual photo on the day now :) 
    009834-_1024602crop.
    E-M1MarkII    OLYMPUS M.12-100mm F4.0    18mm    f/4.0    1/5000s    ISO 400

Here's my version from Flickr
    39340292915_66f2053ab3_h. 009834-_1024602 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.